Rye IPA critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
Rye IPA

5 gal
1.060 SG
61 IBU

10# 2-row
2# rye malt
0.5 # crystal 80
0.5# crystal 40
0.5# cara-pils

1 oz. Centennial 60 min
1 oz. Centennial 45 min
1 oz. Cascade 15 min
1 oz. Cascade 5 min
1 oz. Cascade dry hop

1tsp. Irish moss
US-05

I've seen some recipes with more rye and some with less. I know that rye taste is pretty strong and I think I want to keep mine on the mild side, more like an IPA then like a Roggenbier. Also, is Centennial/Cascade combo a right mix for the rye taste?
What do you think?

Should be fine, but I did one very similar and did these things

Seems like a bit much on the cara/crystal, I would cut it in half personally and add more rye.

As for hops, I would ditch the 45 addition and move it to 10 min and take the 5 and 15 addition and move it to flame out.

FWIW I have brewed one rye pa, I personally don't think you will get much rye taste or feel with just two pounds of it in your batch. I would up it a pound or so.

I bittered mine with perle and flavor and aroma with centennial. 001 was the yeast. Only thing I would have changed, more RYE!!!

But it really comes down to personal preference. None the less it looks to be a great beer.

Cheers!!!

+1 on cutting back a touch on the crystal, meant to say that in my post.

Id say too much crystal. You dont need a full pound, especially as you start getting into the darker crystals. I think the rye is fine and you can add more 2-row to get you up to gravity when replacing the crystal.

As for hops, 5oz is pretty lean for an IPA unless you are using a high alpha hop for bittering. I think you need more late hop addition and more dry hop. I would go at least 2oz for KO and dry hop additions

Just an update on this recipe - the beer came out GREAT. The bready/skanky rye malt taste blends well with the sweetness of the crystal malt. That mixed with the pine aroma of cascade gave a pretty tasty beer. I dry hoped in a keg, as I always do, so 1 oz. of dry hops is plenty enough. Over all a good beer, I think I'm gonna keep the recipe the way it is.
OK, on the second thought: maybe 1 lb. more rye? :)

Back