Whirlfloc question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
I did a search of the forums regarding Whirlfloc usage and everything addressed how it cleaned things up in the fermenter and quite a few pics of carboys and such. My question is... I used Whirlfloc for the first time today on a pale ale (only my 3rd batch of home brew) and immediately saw all the grub floating and ultimately settling as my wort cooled. I poured off the surprisingly clear wort and tossed the left over gunk. Having seen all the photos of what I tossed being in everyone's fermenters has me asking... Should I pour off the clear wort and toss the grub strait out of the boiling pot, or is it better to transfer everything to the fermenter and syphon off after fermenting is complete?

it won't hurt anything if you get some trub in the fermenter, i've dumped the whole kettle in and it's not been a problem. if you can keep the trub out that's good but if you can't, no worries.

What if the Whirlfloc grub gets into your fermentation chamber along with the wort? Will it stay congealed (so when you rack it to the bottling bucket it will stay behind), or does it disolve back into the wort?

I put everything into my beer - leave nothing in the boil kettle. Yes, I have a thick trub along with a yeast blanket at the end of four weeks -

and I've been doing it that way for 10 years. The whirlfloc congeals the protiens and they all settle to the bottom. No harm whatsoever. When you bottle or keg, you leave all that behind.

edit: - yes, when I transfer to the bottling bucket - THAT's when I leave it behind...in the fermenter.

The beer in the bottleing bucket has to be stired after you add sugar for primeing. Obviously you don't want to stir up your trub. So this is a good time to get rid of it.

The beer in the bottleing bucket has to be stired after you add sugar for primeing. Obviously you don't want to stir up your trub. So this is a good time to get rid of it.

Hopefully you dont rack the trub. So this should (hopefully) not be much of an issue, should it?

I would also think it would make it much easier when wanting to wash and reuse your yeast to leave that stuff behind

Back