Honey Apflewine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwc9711

Reaction score
4 1/2-5Gal unfiltered cider
5lbs honey (any variety)

Get 4 1/2 gallons of cider, unfiltered and without preservatives is best, but juice or concentrate would work best. On LOW heat, warm up one gallon of the cider and dissolve 5lbs of honey, I prefer a very floral tasting variety to contrast with the fruitiness of the apple cider. Clover works well. Add to carboy or bucket, and then fill with room temp cider, or with two more gallons heated up. Again, do not boil the cider or honey. You'll still end up with hard cider in the end, but you may lose much of the aroma and flavor of the cider and honey. Pitch rehydrated yeast and let ferment.

For the racking and toping off I used a different type of cider than the one I used originally just to add some more complexity. For bottling dissolve 1/2 cup of sugar in 1 cup of apple cider or juice. This is not a recipe for people who like their cider sweet, although backsweetening is an option if you sorbate it. After two months it is enjoyable, although aging is benificial.

Back