Milling grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I am ordering a recipe online and want to know what grains I need milled. Is it everything that is not an extract? I know the AG base malt stuff needs to be milled, but what about the specialty/roasted stuff (ie: Crystal, chocolate......)? Does it come ready to use, or do I need to crush/ have them mill it? How about the adjuncts (barley, oats...) --crush those when I get them before I steep/mash them, too? I have been trying to find this out, but I seem to only get answers on "how to MM or PM". Thanks!!

Have you visited www.howtobrew.com? Don't let this insult you at all. I found this sight extremely helpful and no matter how many times I visit it, I always learn something new. Check it out if you haven't yet.:rockin:

Gambrinus said:
Have you visited www.howtobrew.com? Don't let this insult you at all. I found this sight extremely helpful and no matter how many times I visit it, I always learn something new. Check it out if you haven't yet.:rockin:

No insult here...I check that out all the time as well. I don't see where he covers which grains need to be milled. Not mashed, but milled.

"All grains need to be milled"

OK, easy enough..even the adjuncts? I can't just use oats out of the can?

Rolled oats have already been milled in the rolling process. Basically any whole grain that hasn't had the husk cracked open needs to be milled.

Flaked grains - Flaked Barley, rye, wheat, oats, corn don't need to be milled, but do need to be mashed.

Back