Without DME how can I make a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen424

Reaction score
Im making a RIS and want to make a starter, but dont have the extract. Should I just mash a lb or 2 of grain(i have a lot) and do it thjat way or is there a better way?

Mashing a # or two of grain will work fine. Just a bit of a pain in the butt is all. Shoot for a gravity right around 1.040

I have no idea but could you make one with corn sugar?

Making a starter with simple sugars is not recommended. Basically it creates a lazy yeast colony that is acclimated to eating easy to obtain sugars. The sugars from grains are more complex and require more work to ingest. It is recommended that your starter be made up of similiar sugars that the yeast will see in the actual wort fermentation.

I have a friend that uses Malto Goya for no boil starters. Its got about a 1.075 SG and he dilutes with distilled water to hit a 1.035 OG. If you add it to the wort without decanting it will increaes the SRM by one or two but I doubt that matters much for a stout.

Back