Advice on a Sam Adams Hefeweizen clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

Reaction score
SA's Hefeweizen was one of my favorites and I was sad to see it retired. Yes, I know it wasn't a true hefeweizen but for some reason I'm not a big fan of traditional German hefes and like the Americanized version better.

Anyways, I'm determined to brew a clone as close to that beer as possible which is harder now without delicious samples to taste. I'm NOT looking to make anything like Coastal Wheat - it has to be that bready but not too funky unfiltered goodness that was SA Hefe.

Any advice would be helpful but my main questions are 1) what kind of yeast? I was thinking American Hefe, and 2) what percentages of malted wheat, unmalted wheat and pale malt would be good?

This will be a 5 gallon batch with extracts amd grains. Here's the info and guidelines I have so far:

Product description: Bright fruity wheat ale contains both malted and unmalted wheat, and two row Pale barley for a clean malty, cereal note. Accentuated with citrus floral flavor of Noble Spalt-Spalter hops, Sam Adams Hefeweizen has an elegant and pleasant bitterness, finishing smooth and clean. It is also 100% unfiltered, retaining a natural haze from malt proteins, crisp, bright flavors of wheat, and fresh, fruity ester complexity from our proprietary ale. Bright fruity, citrus aromas. Finish is clean, crisp and smooth.

Original gravity: 13˚ plato
ABV: 5.4%
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Malted wheat, unmalted wheat
Hops: Spalt

Guidelines:
White Labs 320 American Hefeweizen yeast?
IBU: 8-15
American Wheat Beers: Often 50% or more wheat
German Weizen: Must be 50%, Some are up to 70% wheat

Do you think this would be close to SA Hefe?

Grains
2.5 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
2.5 lbs Wheat Malt
8 oz Flaked Wheat

Extracts
3 lbs Pale liquid malt extract
3 lbs wheat liquid malt extract

Hops
1 oz Spalt (60 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (15 min)
0.5 oz Spalt (15 min)

Yeast
White Labs 320 American Hefeweizen Yeast

most wheat extracts are usually in the neighborhood of 50% wheat 50% 2-row, so if you want an evenish split, omit the pale LME and double the wheat LME (unless, of course, you know your source if 100% wheat).

I'd also leave out the Cascades. I'm pretty sure they're not in the SA hefe - not even sure if SA uses any cascades in any of their beers. I also think the flaked wheat is unnecessary - unless you had a particular reason for using it?

Latest posts

Back