Fruit extract, how much for flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleuChien

Reaction score
Im doing an apple brown ale. I dont want the apple to be too pronounced but would like it to be noticeable slightly. Im racking to the secondary tonight, but curious if I should use the complete 4oz. What are your thoughts? This has also been spiced with some cinnamon, clove, and allspice in the boil. I was planning on adding a vanilla bean to the secondary as well. Any help is appreciated.

I'd use fresh fruit, or Oregon canned fruit, the flavor is sooo much better with fresh fruit, personally I think the flavor is better with fresh vs the canned as well. Extracts seem to create a certain flavor profile that I personally am not fond of.

To answer your question, dose it at bottling and sample to see what you like best, in other words the more extract means more of the flavor from said extract, so how pronounced do you want it to be?

I would prefer for it to be a balance of beer and the apple flavor. I dont want it to taste like a cider in other words.

I just had my first taste of raspberry wheat I made from a NB kit.

The raspberry juice that came from the kit was only 4 oz. for a 5 gallon batch.

That much is enough to give the beer just a slight sweet raspberry aftertaste that takes nothing away from the beer. I'm glad it doesn't taste like fruit juice or something. Tastes like beer.

Excellent, thats what I am looking for, a slight spiced apple after taste and aroma, but still a beer.

Back