Bulk aging in too high temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
So some of you may have seen my original post about my wine all of a sudden tasting really acrid. I though this could have been from sitting on the isinglass too long but that stuff is nearly flavorless. The next idea I had is this.

I just moved into a new house and I put my 5 gal carboys into the laundry room. The furnace and water heater are also in here and it stays about 75F. Could going from about 68F to 75F in the bulk aging process have cause this nasty flavor? If so, is there a way to correct it, or has the damage been done?

yeah that could be it. wine loves between 52-55 deg. unfortunately theres no real way to turn back time. You could try chill proofing (helps precipitate out acid) or possibly blending with a similar wine. But really if it tastes bad I would chalk it up to a failed batch and just try again!

good luck!

Back