Making a milk stout, with milk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iarobertson

Erebus and Terror
Reaction score
I've looked it up on these forums and elsewhere on the internets, but I can't seem to find any information on the use of actual milk in beer. I'll use Lactose if I have to, I just think it might be fun to try using the milk itself.

Now, I would think using Fat-free milk would be best, but is there a process to go through?

Has anyone tried this?

This topic pops up from time to time, and the response is almost always the same...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What flavor profile are you trying to achieve by using milk? Like mentioned already, lactose can contribute creaminess to the beer. If you're trying to cut corners on the cost of lactose by using milk, I wouldn't advise it, but I'm not the one trying to brew it.

I suppose I'm just wondering what would happen.

It does seem like there are almost too many things to go wrong with it... However saying that, I'm going to fill a glass with beer/coffee stout and see if I can't clarify what I am looking for.

Most all milk stouts are made with a small lactose sugar addition which is not fermentable by beer yeast leaving behind a slight residual creamy sweetness. Do not put milk in your beer!

If you can put lactose in the beer, and you want it creamy, why not try a small test batch with some nonfat powdered milk added at the end of the boil?

Maybe someone needs to try a chocolate malted milk beer? The ingredients sure work well together pre-fermentation!

The guy in this video thinks the milk beer tastes like a white russian
[ame]http://www.livevideo.com/video/playhousetv/FFC12D9FC4EE4F33A29AC4AF342CA84F/-616-bilk.aspx[/ame]

Back