Czech Premium Pale Lager Bohemian Pilsner (Silver Medalist)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tapped mine today after three months of lagering. Nice saaz flavor. It finished dry-1.005. Abv was 6.4%, which is too high. Oh well.

YeastieBoys said:
Just tapped mine today after three months of lagering. Nice saaz flavor. It finished dry-1.005. Abv was 6.4%, which is too high. Oh well.
Imperial pilsner...
I recognise the yeastie boys brand name.

Picked up ingredients to brew this sometime this week. Saaz was only 3.0% AA at my LHBS... Had to nearly double the amount to get above 40 IBUs... Anyways, will let you know how it turns out!

Some questions:

1) Is a full double/triple decoction mash necessary for this beer? I'm still planning on doing one, I'm curious to know if I should start with a 122F Protein Rest or just a 145F Beta rest?

2) Has anyone calculated the IBU levels for the additions? With iBrewmaster's calculation for 6 gallons using the Tinseth method, I get, for the four additions, 14.46 IBU, 22.23 IBU, 6.99 IBU, and 0 for the whirlpool addition. Adjusting for 3.0% Saaz, I get 1.4oz for 13.96 IBU, 2.9oz for 22.23 IBU, 1.9oz for 6.87 IBU, and a final addition of .8oz and 2.34 IBU (calculated at 6min) for flameout/whirlpool.

3) My water is relatively soft, but still quite a bit above Pilsen water. Chemistry is:
Ca 59ppm
Mg 7ppm
Na 30ppm
Cl 28ppm
SO4 30ppm
Alkalinity 115ppm

Should I dilute with distilled (thinking 50/50) or just leave it as is?

Thanks!

Brewed this yesterday. That was a LONNNNNG brew day. Taste and flavor were great, but I'm really not liking the thought of having to do double decoctions. Thinking of changing to a light body double infusion for next time with the following grist:

(for 6 gallons)
88% Weyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner 11lbs
6% Breiss Carapils 12oz
4% Weyermann Munich 1 8oz
2% Weyermann Melanoiden Malt 4oz

Hops:
Czech Saaz 60min 13.69 IBU
Czech Saaz 30min 21.79 IBU
Czech Saaz 10min 6.73 IBU
Czech Saaz 0mini 0.00 IBU (whirlpool 20 minutes)

OG goes up to 1.051, IBUs are at 42.2, and everything stays pretty much the same. My SRM calculator shows an increase to 4.7 instead of 3.5, but only the most hawk-eyed judges would notice that.

Mash schedule for my system is an protein rest infusion of .9qts/lb at 137F (to 122F) for 30 min, a conversion rest at .8qts/lb at 173F (to 150F) for 30min, and a mash out at .8qts/lb at 196F (to 168F) for 10 min.

This schedule should save you a lot of time and yield a very similar beer. Next time I do a BoPils, I'm using this recipe and I'll report the differences. Cheers!

This one is done! Finished at 1.014 with a great flavor. Going to lager it for a month before entering it the Best Florida Beer Competition.

I thought it tasted amazing. However, the judges disagreed. They gave this beer a 22/50.

Even though I used 100% Czech Saaz in this, one judge said it had aromas of tropical fruit and mango, a low pils malt aroma, and other significant dings.

However, I did have some issues on getting it to clear. I think my decoction technique needs work because I got an opaque polyphenol haze that didn't disappear with lagering or gelatin finings.

I also think that my bottling needs work. I've been using a growler tube as of the last few times and the judges always seem to ding me for lower than normal carbonation. I think I'll just build a counter pressure filler out of an old siphon tube I have.

Anyways, I really thought this was an excellent beer, no matter what the judges think. Next time, I might use something like Magnum for bittering, but keep the heavy late Saaz additions for all the flavor and aroma.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have you though about using an alternative at 10 mins. Might add some depth of hop flavour. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Given the original recipe hop schedule - I added the IBUs from brewersfriend.com:
.75 saaz 5.8% @ 60min 14.91 IBUS
1.5 saaz 5.8% @ 30min 19.10 IBUS
1.0 saaz 5.8% @ 10min 7.21 IBUS
1.0 saaz 5.8% @ 0min 5.8 IBUS
Total IBUS - 41.22

My CZECH SAAZ are 3.1 AA - What do you think about this for adjustments:

1.5 saaz 3.1% @ 60min 15.94 IBUS
2.25 saaz 3.1% @ 30min 18.38 IBUS
1.75 saaz 3.1% @ 10min 6.74 IBUS
1.0 saaz 3.1% @ 0min 3.1 IBUS
Total IBUS - 41.06

6.5 oz seems like alot of hops for a pilsner! And actually - I only have 6 ozs so I'll have to lose 1/2 oz somewhere

I really want to make up this Pilsner but I don't want to deal with doing a double decoction mash. I have done it before and it took too long and everything I read says melanoiden malt is a suitable replacement.

Is it possible for me to simplify this recipe and do a single decoction type of deal where I put in my infusion water to get the grain up to 148F for 30 minutes and then take out grist and boil it to get me up to 158F for 30 minutes more? After this I would just drain the MLT and then sparge with regular water at 168F.

It seems like thre has to be a good compromise between the double decoction and using melanoiden malts but I am no expert on this subject so I figured I would ask.

EDIT: Changed 142F to 148F

I really want to make up this Pilsner but I don't want to deal with doing a double decoction mash. I have done it before and it took too long and everything I read says melanoiden malt is a suitable replacement.

Is it possible for me to simplify this recipe and do a single decoction type of deal where I put in my infusion water to get the grain up to 148F for 30 minutes and then take out grist and boil it to get me up to 158F for 30 minutes more? After this I would just drain the MLT and then sparge with regular water at 168F.

It seems like thre has to be a good compromise between the double decoction and using melanoiden malts but I am no expert on this subject so I figured I would ask.

EDIT: Changed 142F to 148F

Did you ever do this? Looking at doing something similar myself.

Beer came out great. Thanks for the recipe OP!

IMG_20160223_152141091.jpg

Did you make any changes? And would you make any changes next time?

I am brewing this on Saturday but using W34/70.

I cant speak for this recipe, however I make a pilsner with 10 lbs pilsner malt, 1 oz perle (60), 3/4 oz tettnang (15), 1/2 oz tettnang (1).. Mash for 4 hours at 148 and use 34/70 as my "go to" yeast.. I absolutely love that beer!! Have no desire to try any other yeast strain for this

Did you make any changes? And would you make any changes next time?
I am brewing this on Saturday but using W34/70.

The only thing I changed was yeast, and I used WLP830. Other than that, I won't change a thing next time I brew it again. Good luck!

Back