bad JuJu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InYerMouth

Reaction score
So I got my first all grain under my belt last night....trying to produce a hoppy IPA....one problem I didnt consider is that I used leaf hops for the first time and in classic rookie style I didnt put them in a bag. My auto siphon kept getting clogged....end result I pored into my fermemnter through a strainer....so know I have a thick groggy wort....Im a lil worried about the sanitation issue since I am now a germ o phob after getting a batch ruined...but on top of that...Im hoping the end product will still settle out clear..Im gonna use a secondary and let it sit a lil longer than I normally would...just wondering if anyone has any tips that may set my mind at ease on this one to help ensure it turns out ok....any pointers appreciated!!

I've never used a hop bag. I drain my kettle into a 6 gallon bucket with a paint strainer in it then funnel that into a carboy. I get maximum hop utilization and aeration all in one shot.

so I guess the pouring wont be a huge issue...never thought of the aeration issue....could turn out well.....I prob should of tried funneling it out into a different fermenter I guess to clear it up...but hopefully the secondary will produce the same results.... my OG was 1073....so as long as it all goes well should turn out to be pungent deliciousness!!:rockin:

Buy a stainless steel pot scrubber, the ones that (obviously) don't have any soap on them and are relatively coarse. The perfect ones are almost a ribbon-like mesh instead of wire, and are formed in a little donut-like shape. Take that scrubby and put the tip of your auto-siphon throught the hole in the middle. It works perfectly, not a hop leaf one in my fermenters and no clogging at all.

Awsome idea....I like that....and yeah...the Inyermouth name is a great addition....lol.... especially for my Irish Red coming soon to be delicately named the "Big Red Rooster" (Inyermouth Brewing co....) lol...

:rofl

Back