All-Grain Class

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdave11316

Reaction score
Hey, looking for some advice. I'm teaching an intro to all-grain brewing class this coming Saturday at my local home brew shop. I'm just going to use 7 lbs. of 2-row to show the class how to iodine test, lauter and vorlauf. (Trying to consolidate time so it's doesn't end up becoming a 6 1/2 hour class starting at 6PM)

Any interesting ideas on what beer/grain bill I should use for the wort I actually ferment? It'd have to be an ale. I don't have proper means to lager currently.

Pre-measure the hops additions and note the time to add on each.
Have grain pre-crushed.
Skip the conversion test, just mention.
Introduce the tuns and kettle.
Introduce hydrometer, thermometer types.
Add a couple more pounds of base, 2 of Vienna and a half of crystal 10L. - 1.055
Throw in some neutral bittering (Nugget) and some light aroma (Fuggles) hops.
Pitch Notty.
4 1/2 hours.

Hey, looking for some advice. I'm teaching an intro to all-grain brewing class this coming Saturday at my local home brew shop. I'm just going to use 7 lbs. of 2-row to show the class how to iodine test, lauter and vorlauf. (Trying to consolidate time so it's doesn't end up becoming a 6 1/2 hour class starting at 6PM)

Any interesting ideas on what beer/grain bill I should use for the wort I actually ferment? It'd have to be an ale. I don't have proper means to lager currently.

You know there are going to be all kind of questions and the "I read this and that" and "I know a guy who" comments. I am still trying to shave off time on my all grain process but if I was also trying to show a group of people let alone one person, good luck keeping it short. I mean go for it and have fun but if there is any way to start earlier I would try to. Now if you are not actually brewing real time but just teaching that may be different. I will be interested in how you make out. I have a friend who wants to watch me brew and I am expecting all kinds of questions as we go even though I have already explained the process.

Two things: keep it simple and prep everything you can beforehand. Prep would include having all the grain measured & milled, hops measured & bagged (if using bags), and having the strike water already heated to temp. I've done a number of AG classes and you will never be able to cover all topics. My concept is to stay to the ABCs and take the mystery out of the process. I tell the folks who take the class that after going through it they should be able to go home and have the confidence and knowledge to make an AG brew on their own. Based on feedback from several who have taken it the class does make that happen. A simple recipe and mash profile is a big plus. Pale ale or stout with a single infusion is always a good choice. If anyone asks about multi-temp rests, decoctions, lagering, etc give them a good but brief answer and keep things moving. The nature of AG brewing makes lecture/discussion easy to blend with some hands-on time. Have fun. :mug:

You could do it Food Network style :) If you had 2 mash tuns you could start mashing an hour before the class starts. After showing everything up to adding the mash water, then you cut to commercial break and then bust out the already mashed grains and start sparging. Maybe not practical but it would shave off an hour :mug: Good luck with whatever you do!

Hey, just to give a follow-up: The class happened last Saturday and it went pretty well. I just went straight through an all-grain brew day like I normally would, but took time to explain things in between. Even had a nice little handout to take home. I really didn't have to field any crazy questions. Seemed like everybody had more extract questions than all-grain :(

I think the idea of the partial mash was what most of the folks were interested in. I didn't even have to answer whether you could make Bud Light cheaper than Budweiser (or should I say inbev?) can.

The beer I chose to make was an English Brown recipe that I added 1 lb. of honey malt to. We started the boil after the end of the class and just totally didn't keep tabs on anything. I'm gonna call it the "F*** it, Honey Brown".

I think you should throw in 4-8 oz of crystal malt to give a little depth to the malt character, then do a FWH and 60 minute addition to hit 30-35 IBU and call it an Ordinary Bitter. Throw some Windsor in there when you're done and let it rock. I agree you should pre-measure everything, but I would crush the grain in class so your students can see before and after. For hops I'd suggest Willamette or Goldings, unless you love cascades. GL!

Back