"Guilty" confessions of a beer enthusiast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will state, that true IPA or not, Keiths does have an absolutely epic label imo. And the brewery does brew a few other things that are very good. Keiths Tartan ale, which they made available for a few months last year was a very enjoyable Scottish ale. Their Stags Head Stout, while failing to meet all the qualities of true stout, I also found to be quite enjoyable.

I didn't give much grief about the stout either, as while they called it a stout, the marketing tagline was "Stout need not be heavy" and it was an example of a lighter bodied stout. While different, I found it enjoyable.

To give some folks an idea of how prevailant Keiths is here in Halifax; the brewmaster Alexander Keith, was actually mayor of Halifax way back when. And to this day we celebrate his birthday with a massive street party downtown every year. Live bands, tents set up serving Keiths, and all sorts of other beer, great party.

So Belgians are out for you too? As are cream ales, chilli pepper stouts, anything with chocolate? Fruit beers?
Not all Belgian styles contain adjuncts, Pale Ale for example doesn't traditionally. No cream ales, chilli pepper stouts (even sounds gross), nothing with chocolate adjunct, but chocolate malt is fine. No fruit beer either.

Malt, hops, water, yeast. Someone else can drink adjunct beer, leave that stuff out of mine.

Not all Belgian styles contain adjuncts, Pale Ale for example doesn't traditionally. No cream ales, chilli pepper stouts (even sounds gross), nothing with chocolate adjunct, but chocolate malt is fine. No fruit beer either.

Malt, hops, water, yeast. Someone else can drink adjunct beer, leave that stuff out of mine.

what about lambics?

Vertical epic 2011 was terrible for me. Those chiles made me wanna vomit. I like beers with chocolate, vanilla, stuff like that. I don't like coffee beers or chile beers though. Or at least haven't had one I like yet.

I'm a snob. I don't care who knows it.

I hadn't been regularly drinking beer for years before I discovered all the new craft beers - if BMC were the only beer, I'd stick with water. I used to drink it all the time (I came up on 9:05 beer, which was repackaged Heilemanns Old Style), but I recognized the difference when I got to Germany and drank my first Altbier. When the Blues finally win the Cup, I sure as hizzel won't be hoisting a Budweiser - but thanks for all the hops, In-Bev!
Allow me to concur with your repeatedly stated wishes concerning National Hockey results, sir: GO BLUES!!!

Lambics use fruit which is an adjunct, so no. I will not drink them.

Goes to show, ain't no accounting for taste - I haven't found a beer made with wheat I could drink more than one of. I'm still trying though - I had an all Saphir hopped imported weiss beer just last night. Another no-go, unfortunately.

I will state, that true IPA or not, Keiths does have an absolutely epic label imo. And the brewery does brew a few other things that are very good. Keiths Tartan ale, which they made available for a few months last year was a very enjoyable Scottish ale. Their Stags Head Stout, while failing to meet all the qualities of true stout, I also found to be quite enjoyable.

I didn't give much grief about the stout either, as while they called it a stout, the marketing tagline was "Stout need not be heavy" and it was an example of a lighter bodied stout. While different, I found it enjoyable.

To give some folks an idea of how prevailant Keiths is here in Halifax; the brewmaster Alexander Keith, was actually mayor of Halifax way back when. And to this day we celebrate his birthday with a massive street party downtown every year. Live bands, tents set up serving Keiths, and all sorts of other beer, great party.
As far as I'm concerned, Nova Scotia has nothing to apologize for: beer schmeer - you guys produced Al MacInnis, the most underrated NHL defenseman ever. Big Al was one heck of a lot more than a big shot. He made perfect defensive play look so easy, you didn't even notice it. If I ever see any of this fake IPA, I'll try a six.

I know, I was wondering about all sorts of beers when I read that....Belgian beers use sugar. Chilli beers use chilies. Chocolate stouts use chocolate. Cream ales use corn. Seems to really limit one's beer choices I think.
Not all Belgian recipes use sugar. My preferences do limit me to beer choices, but what I have to choose from I'm very content with. I'm also not into lagers, save for an Oktoberfest.
Is this aversion because you haven't found an "adjunct" that you enjoy in beer, or is it because of the mere fact that there is an adjunct in the recipe?
I think adjuncts take away from the heart of the beer, not supplement it. My heritage is German, my brewing background is German, and my taste for beer is German. Yes I know the Reinheitsgebot was actually a tax law, not a purity law as the name implies. I don't think adjuncts belong in beer, but on the other hand beer is a very regional product and people used what was available, which helped to develop styles of beer. Other people can drink what they want. I'm very particular about my beer and don't want anything other than malt, hops, water, and yeast. I've tried a few different styles with adjuncts in the beer and didn't like them after a few tries, so I drew the line. If there's an adjunct in the beer, I'm not interested in trying it.

As far as I'm concerned, Nova Scotia has nothing to apologize for: beer schmeer - you guys produced Al MacInnis, the most underrated NHL defenseman ever. Big Al was one heck of a lot more than a big shot. He made perfect defensive play look so easy, you didn't even notice it. If I ever see any of this fake IPA, I'll try a six.

Big al, and Sidney Crosby both actually :)

Well, there are people who only drink bud. He's lucky, Germans make some damn fine beers. Had Kostitzer scwarzbier last week....wow.

I am not a snob, but if I have a choice between Corona and water, I'll take water. Unless I'm in Mexico in which case Corona is a much safer option for my intestines.

Being female and having a tendency to show my beer consumption in undesirable parts of my body, I found that, considering calories, carbs and flavor, Miller Lite is a good go to for me. I mix it up, alternating between craft brews, and it's become more of a "comfort beer" for me.
Besides, who could resist, it's hopped not once, not twice, but THREE times! :ban:

You can definitely taste the 'sky blue waa-aters' in Hamms! :p

yah, that's about all you can taste!!

another guilty confession, i'd take a Mountain Creek/Crest over most any other adjunct lager out there that isn't PBR. $10/case of cans, and it's drinkable, that alone makes it..... well, i was going to say decent, but i'll leave it at 'better than many other mass produced corn/rice lagers'.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
nothing like a day on the course with some bad brew. PBR is my go to when disc golfing, few brews are more refreshing, IMO. that's right hamm's, PBR should rightfully be called 'the beer refreshing', you guys can keep the 'sky blue waa-aters' though, no disc golfer needs those. :ban:

I love that other disc golfers who drink good beer prefer cheap fizzy water beer on the course. My go to is natty light tall boys, mostly cause it actually gets a little flavor when it warns up in your bag.

supe_kitchen said:
I love that other disc golfers who drink good beer prefer cheap fizzy water beer on the course. My go to is natty light tall boys, mostly cause it actually gets a little flavor when it warns up in your bag.

I get a 12er of Beck's... and I've no shame in saying I really like that beer a lot!

I am not a snob, but if I have a choice between Corona and water, I'll take water. Unless I'm in Mexico in which case Corona is a much safer option for my intestines.

I always find the after taste of Corona to be not unlike the nasty bit of taste you get in your mouth after driving by a dead skunk on the side of the road.

I always find the after taste of Corona to be not unlike the nasty bit of taste you get in your mouth after driving by a dead skunk on the side of the road.
That's because Corona is bottled in clear bottles and gets "light struck", which tastes skunky. Yes it's the same chemical component in the skunk's defensive spray. If Corona actually cared about their beer, they would use amber or brown bottles. If Corona actually really and truly cared about their beer, they would use cans.

I can definitely respect your tastes, I just can't get over the fact that you'd refuse to try something you've never had before though to even give it a shot.
I'd tried beer with several variations of adjuncts and just gave up on the genre entirely after much disappointment.

48news9d.jpg

I'm a sucker for Corona with a lime in the Long Island summer heat... Just wish I could bring myself to reuse the clear bottles.

I won a prize at my girlfriend's company Christmas party, and we knew it was a liquor or wine bottle of some kind as it was in one of those cylindrical gift cases to fancy it up. Much to my surprise when I opened the case, instead of there being a bottle of whiskey or wine there was two tall cans of warm Corona Extra. Yay. I wonder who bought the prizes and took the booze out first.

flyingfinbar said:
I'm a sucker for Corona with a lime in the Long Island summer heat... Just wish I could bring myself to reuse the clear bottles.

My problem exactly. My dad drinks corona light regularly, and I could double my bottle supply if I wanted to scrape off paint and use clear bottles, but I don't.

pyth said:

Maybe this is why I enjoy Corona so much... I f*cking love the smell of dead skunk! No joke.

BrightSpotBrewing said:
Maybe this is why I enjoy Corona so much... I f*cking love the smell of dead skunk! No joke.

I thought I was the only one who liked that smell. Weird. I also like the grassy/corny smell if the reclaimed water in some parts of Florida.

Back