liquid yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod

beer -just brew it
Reaction score
thanks to all who have posted about the use of liquid yeasts over dry.
i just racked my second attempt at a hobgoblin clone to secondary after using wyeast 1187.
just a quick taste confirmed it is a much better clone than the first one brewed with nottingham dry.
even though more money i think i see more liquid yeats in my future.
again thanks for all the help :mug:

Start researching here into saving yeast slurry to reduce your costs to equal or less than dry :).

I've oly done a handful of brews, but I've noticed my fermentation is a lot more active and the beer has less floaters than when using liquid yeast... luckily thats all my LHBS uses... I need to read on how to save it and reuse it.. does someone have a link that I could read..?? Thanks...

Jester

search for 'yeast washing'. there's lots of info about how to save the yeast cake on the bottom of the primary fermenter.

If you make starters for your liquid, you can do what I do; make a BIG starter, but pitch only 1/2 to 3/4 of it into the batch. Save the rest in the fridge in a sanitized and sealed bottle. If you want that yeast again with the next couple of months, warm the sample up and make a new starter with it.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
search for 'yeast washing'. there's lots of info about how to save the yeast cake on the bottom of the primary fermenter.

If you make starters for your liquid, you can do what I do; make a BIG starter, but pitch only 1/2 to 3/4 of it into the batch. Save the rest in the fridge in a sanitized and sealed bottle. If you want that yeast again with the next couple of months, warm the sample up and make a new starter with it.

-walker

I've seen you post before with this process and do like this thought as well because of it being cleaner. Question for ya; would each time you re-energize the saved 1/2 do you consider that a next generation? How often do you repeat where you consider that bugger spent? If not making sense I could restate... :eek:

desertBrew said:
I've seen you post before with this process and do like this thought as well because of it being cleaner. Question for ya; would each time you re-energize the saved 1/2 do you consider that a next generation? How often do you repeat where you consider that bugger spent? If not making sense I could restate... :eek:

I've only had the chance to re-use one of my saved starters once (I had not planned out my brewing calendar with yeast re-use in mind). It worked fine that time.

I do consider it a new "generation" of the yeast, though, and I do not plan to do this more than 3 or 4 times. All I wanted to do was bring the cost of the liquid yeast back down to the range of dry yeast by re-using it a few times.

I might be able to stretch it further than 3 or 4 batches, but I'd rather not take the risk of getting a new mutant yeast that makes my beer taste funny or different.

-walker

Agreed - If I get 4 batches out of a liq yeast purchase I'm happy. Any more isn't worth gambling over.

Back