best/cheapest place to get a burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
Already have the pot, just looking for a good propane burner. Where does everyone recommend to get one from? and which one? thanks

Check Lowe's or Home Depot for a turkey fryer kit. You'll still need to buy the tank, unless you have one already from a gas grill.

It may not be the ABSOLUTE cheapest (I've seen turkey friers for $40), but this is an excellent burner (plenty strong, lots of output, burns clean, easy to control the flame) for $50.

da6d1292-e9c0-434c-a1c1-7c72addb3ebe_300.jpg

I'm looking for a burner too. So far the cheapest way does seem to be to buy a turkey fryer. The pot, if not needed can easily be used for something else.

I'm looking at probably an SQ14 anyone here have any problems with those?

Edit. That looks like one right above me! Simultaneous posting! LOL

Edit. That looks like one right above me! Simultaneous posting! LOL

Nah, I beat you by a minute!

The Patio Stove is great, I actually like it better than the Banjo cooker. It's plenty strong enough to hold a keggle, and while I only do 5 gallon batches, I've heard from others that it's strong and powerful enough for 10 gallons. I see it as an equipment purchase than might be marginally more expensive than a turkey frier, but that you won't feel the need to replace down the line. It's pretty quiet, too - the "jet" burners on most turket friers are wicked loud.

I just picked up an SQ14 at ACE hardware for $50. If your local store doesn't have any in stock, you can order online and have it shipped to the store for free. Mine came in a week later.

Nah, I beat you by a minute!

The Patio Stove is great, I actually like it better than the Banjo cooker. It's plenty strong enough to hold a keggle, and while I only do 5 gallon batches, I've heard from others that it's strong and powerful enough for 10 gallons. I see it as an equipment purchase than might be marginally more expensive than a turkey frier, but that you won't feel the need to replace down the line. It's pretty quiet, too - the "jet" burners on most turket friers are wicked loud.

You got a model number for the banjo?

This:

41YAY55XJ3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I swore that they had discountinued it, though. I'm pretty sure mine is the KAB4. It's nice, but it's none too big for a keg (it fits, but don't hit it), and it doesn't burn quite as cleanly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This:

41YAY55XJ3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I swore that they had discountinued it, though. I'm pretty sure mine is the KAB4. It's nice, but it's none too big for a keg (it fits, but don't hit it), and it doesn't burn quite as cleanly.

OH!!! THAT'S SEXY!

Darn! I gotta get one! :) Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use SQ-14s as well... bought 3 of them on Amazon for $40 ea. (I think, and this was 1.5 years ago) with Free Supersaver Shipping. They're great, I have no problems with them. They fit keggles perfectly. My typical pre-boil volume is 14.5 gallons and it gets to boiling fairly quickly.

http://www.bigjohngrills.com/SBPC.html

This is a good spot for 60,000BTU for $80. I don't own it yet, but it is one of my next purchases. I look at it like this: My keggle on my turkey frier has trouble maintaining a boil if there is any sort of breeze. At 15,000 BTU I can understand why.

So I started using the Camp Chef 30,000BTU 3 burner stove ($190). Works great, except that the keg doesn't really fit on top with the wind screen.

EDIT: looks to me like kegs would sit on top of this burner, not around the cooking surface. Might be a bit wobbly, judging by the measurements I just took

You know what, after all is said and done I don't like my last post at all. I will leave it for posterity sake though.

Has anyone had any experience with a jet burner? Like the SP-1, for $36 it seems like a steal.

Back