3 questions about my lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I made my batch this past Sunday, and today is Thursday. I've kept it at 54-56 degrees in a cold room and this thing has been bubbling away. I've used WLP830 German Lager yeast in it, and made a starter too.

Question #1: How long will this keep going like this? It started early monday morning, and today Thursday it is still going strong. I have notes from 15 years ago that said my lager was active for 10 days. The ale I made last month was very active for about 2 days and then quieted down. I put it in the 2ndary after a week and kept it there for another 2 weeks and it was good beer.

Question #2: Not only is it bubbling strong, what I'm observing is that it isn't a steady bubbling, more like big burps. Is this because the gas is caught under the krausen? I'm using a plastic bucket obviously as I can't see what it's doing. My ale made a steady tick tick tick at the peak.

Question #3: What do I do when I transfer to the secondary? Should I put it out into the cold? It isn't all that cold anymore, but it would still be colder than where it is now, maybe. I'm not as familiar with lager procedure as with ale, and all the info is confusing and contradictory. Of course any answer I get here is the absolute truth. ;)

#1 - It'll keep going til it's done. I give all my lagers at least 3 weeks in primary before I even think about checking them.

#2 - Perhaps. Never had it work like that but then, I don't obsess over fermentations. Not a jab at you. I check them sure but I don't count bubbles.

#3 - Before you x-fer take a grav reading to confirm it's terminal. If it is x-fer to 2ndary at let it rest at 68*F to room temp for 5-7 days for a diacetyl rest. The yeast wil metabolize compounds that would otherwise taste buttery (diacetyl, the same stuff that used to be in popcorn) after that bottle or keg and lager until you are ready to drink.

zacster said:
I made my batch this past Sunday, and today is Thursday. I've kept it at 54-56 degrees in a cold room and this thing has been bubbling away. I've used WLP830 German Lager yeast in it, and made a starter too.

Question #1: How long will this keep going like this? It started early monday morning, and today Thursday it is still going strong. I have notes from 15 years ago that said my lager was active for 10 days. The ale I made last month was very active for about 2 days and then quieted down. I put it in the 2ndary after a week and kept it there for another 2 weeks and it was good beer.

Question #2: Not only is it bubbling strong, what I'm observing is that it isn't a steady bubbling, more like big burps. Is this because the gas is caught under the krausen? I'm using a plastic bucket obviously as I can't see what it's doing. My ale made a steady tick tick tick at the peak.

Question #3: What do I do when I transfer to the secondary? Should I put it out into the cold? It isn't all that cold anymore, but it would still be colder than where it is now, maybe. I'm not as familiar with lager procedure as with ale, and all the info is confusing and contradictory. Of course any answer I get here is the absolute truth. ;)

From what ive heard, the colder temperature means that it will ferment slower... The big burbs you're seeing is a slower collection of CO2 than with ales. Fairly sure you're suppose to lager from 33-40 (at the most i think). Someone else here should be able to sum it up better.

1. its a lager, it takes longer to ferment due to the cooler temps, and the fact that is bottom cropping.

2. its a lager, the yeast is going to behave differently than ale yeast, especially because of the temperature. I've only done one lager, but experienced the exact same type of fermentation, so do not worry.

3. there are some options. some do a long secondary at cool temps (4 weeks) and then bottle...leave at room temp a couple weeks to carb, then cold store all the beer and lager that way.
I think its preferred...or at least more traditional, to lager in bulk with a long secondary at much cooler temperatures. Upper 30's so it doesn't freeze.

Sometimes people will lager for so long that its necessary to re-pitch yeast at bottling. It just depends on the yeast, how cold, and how long it sat.

Others can offer more advice on 3 for sure.

Back