Open ArdBir - definitive BIAB/RIMS controller arduino based

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysobry

Reaction score
Hi
Let me introduce myself, I'm David Italian homebrewer since long time and active member of the ArdBir Team

I'm new in the frum and I would like to share some information about this exciting project that has reached a very advanced and professional stage.

I have already posted some news about this project on other threads but I think it's worth while to have a deidcated one

The project
Open Ardbir is largely inspired by the original project formerly Braudino from Stephen Mathison and then upgraded and modified by Mike Wilson under the Mike’s Brewery appellation and is been completely reviewed by Max Nevi and Italian team (Alessio, Davide, Luciano, Luigi, Piero, Savio)
Lot of enachement and new features have been introduced and a dedicate HW board “all in one” based on AtMega328 is also available.
We can state that currently Open ArdBir is the most advanced and comprehensive controller for single vessel systems and is universally adopted in all “brauduino” like platform

What is Open ArdBir ?
Open ArdBir is Open source platform for brewing process control and automation based on Arduino. The platform is intended for single vessel RIMS system and BIAB process.
The controller automates all the phases: from mashing, boiling and hops addition,cooling up to whirpool providing all the capability to both beginners and advanced homebrewers. The system is interactive and programmable and can be configured via 4 push buttons and LCD display provides all relevant information in all phases.

Here a functionl diagram with main components

ArdBir%252520Logic%252520Schema.png

Arduino Uno run the control process implementing PID+PWM control and mange keyboard and 20x4 LCD
The temperature probe provide the imput and a dedicated HW controls 3 outputs
  • PWM out for SSR relay controlling heating elemnt
    Digital Out for relay controlling recirculating pump
    Digital out to drive a piezo buzzer

What do I need to run Ardbir ?
From HW perspective a specific shield has been developed in order to connect temperature probe, SSR relay for heating element, Pump relay, buzzer as well as LCD display (16x2 and 20x3) and 4 push buttons.

ArdBir%252520HW%252520Schema.jpg

A dedicated “all in one” board is also available integrating all the component including ATmega328 processor (arduino UNO) in single PCB professionally engineered

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

What are the feature and Function ?

Feature and Functions (Version 2.8.3-RC)

• Fully automatic and Manual mode
    Gas or Electric Heating configuration
    Full Configurable PID/PWM and process parameter
    Full configurable Unit parameter
    Full configurable Step Mash (temp/duration)
    Full configurable Boil and Hop Additions
    PID temperature control algorithm
    PWM heating power control
    Whirlpool and Cooling
    Recipe managing and storing/load
    Multi HW support (LCD 16x2 and 20x4)
    Delayed start
    Process Pause/recover
    Scale Temp (°C-°F)
    Multi Language support (Italian,English,Spanish,Portuguese;Russian;Norwegian):
    Compiled on Arduino V1.6
    GNU V2 software license

Where can I find more details?

All details of the project are reported on our public FB page, with “like” you stay tuned with the project and supporting community
https://www.facebook.com/OpenArdBir

Source code is available trough Github
https://github.com/ArdBir

user manual available on our repository as well PCB and schematic and last SW version
http://goo.gl/qMhPgu

you tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgtcVKN_nspF1l_mY4cKUbQ

Hope you enjoy the project and you can support us
We are currently working to a new platfrom enhanced (SD card reader, real time clock, BT connection, graphic TFT display) and also to an advanced fermentation temperature controller (ArdFerm) supporting peltier (TEC) cooler and traditional cooler

Stay Tuned
Davide ArdBir team

Even during summer holiday ArdBir team has not stopped design and engineering

we are very proud to announce the reals of a new version of the control board..after the all-in-one the ArdBir NANO a new PCB with “piggy” Arduino NANO MCU

the final result is a ultra compact board, more powerful (more I/O), easy to build and low cost (single side PCB and all trough hole component)

ArdBir%252520NANO.png

what do you think about?

In a few days we are going to deliver CAD file an BoM

enjoy
Davide

Is it possible to build this without the printed circuit board (PCB) ? Are there any instructions or diagrams to for building it with out the PCB?

Atb. Aamcle

P's. How much for the Nano kit?

Is it possible to build this without the printed circuit board (PCB) ? Are there any instructions or diagrams to for building it with out the PCB?

Atb. Aamcle

P's. How much for the Nano kit?

yes in principle you can wrap the external component on a proto board
schematic of Open Ardbir are fully available in our repository on drop box

http://goo.gl/qMhPgu

the schema, pcb and details of NANO will come in few days

stay tuned

2012-11-04_22-17-44_280-57432.jpg

Here is an example of an Arduino shield hand wired. This is similar to what the ArdBir is based on. It is not too complex, and I have brewed many batches with it.

I have been brewing with Ardbir for about 8 months now, although mine has been tweaked to run in a brutus 20 Config.

Very happy you are using ArdBir with success !
Also interested on what type of tweeks you have implemented for brutus 20 ..could you describe in short ?

Ciao
Davide

I have just read through the manual, the system seems to be designed for a NextGen build how is the pump set to run continuously in a GrainFarther system?

Thanks. Aamcle

Great idea and product.

But please never use that damn cursive font from the Nano product description image again, its so horrible to read! And looks very unprofessional for an otherwise well thought out product.

Great idea and product.

But please never use that damn cursive font from the Nano product description image again, its so horrible to read! And looks very unprofessional for an otherwise well thought out product.

Thank you for the advice
If something not clear let us know
Davide

Have you ever seen 1L micro(nano) brewery in action ?

Used to test ArdBir and for live demo but fully working

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of the all-in-one boards and it's pretty nice. It does not have any way to connect to the outside world though. No bluetooth, wifi, or networking of any kind. That is a huge short coming in my book. None of the extra io pins are exposed either so don't expect to add anything. For a stand alone BIAB its great, but I think having an app to load recipes with is half the value.

Thank you for your comment , we are happy you like ardbir project
Current SW and hardware id designed and engineered for BIAB process..and it takes more than one year of development !
As you may have seen is a masterpiece..with such limited resources what the system does is a miracle.
We are actively working to a new generation of controller (HW and SW) with many of the new feature you mention..be patient and continue to support the project !

Davide

Hi,
I recently decided to build an all in one brew system, i have found this great piece of software (ardbir) but i enjoy soldering and building electronics, I would like to hand wire this onto a universal pcb/breadboard. I cannot find a wiring schematic for the mathos brauduino, or your PCB. Do you know where i can find a wiring diagram so i can hand wire this? I would prefer not to follow the traces from the PCB to figure this out. Thanks!
Thanks for all your hard work, carrying on the project.

Hi guys
if you have not still thought to you Xmas wish list why don’t you take advantage of the spacial open ardbir Xmas bundle offer ??

you buy an all in one kit and you get nano PCB for free !

VERY FEW boards in stock available !

Order now to get before Xmas

Xmas%252520promo.png

That is a great offer, thanks for the info mysobry. I think some people in my area may be interested in this for sure. Is there a schematic in your drop box somewhere tho?inwas looking for all the directories but have not been able to find one. By schematic I mean a picture of where all the circuits go from the arduino board with resistors and diodes and such

I created an account on here just to say that this is an amazing project, and I've been wanting to build something like this to get me into the electric biab world for a long time now.
Sad I missed your Christmas deal. The minute you have some in stock, I hope that i'm near a computer at the time to pick one up.
I will be following your project very closely, and plan to donate and support as soon as I can.

I ended up building the open ardbir danielxan pcb. I made a pcb using the toner transfer method for the very first time. I soldered everything together tonight and plugged it in. It worked first try, without even adjusting the pot. I was very surprised. I am currently trying to locally source the transistors bc337, they seem to be very hard to find in my area.
Thanks for all the hard work, in stoked to build the rest of the box!

View attachment 1449984269740.jpg

View attachment 1449984287219.jpg

Very good !
I'm looking forward to see your first batch brewed with the new automated system

Dvide

Are there any diagrams for the build not using a PCB? I don't have access to a laser printer.

Aamcle

Thanks, logical and easy to follow but hard to turn into wires on a bread board. Maybe I'll try to get the PCB diagram laser printed.

Aamcle :) :)

Hi David, Many thanks for a great product. I have the all-in-one for my grainfather.

I also receieved the free Nano board but so far can find no information on the component values to use and a software download for it. Will there be a components kit available?

Thanks

Will [Dublin.Ireland]

**** Part List for GTO ArdBir Cotroller Board ****

01 Arduino Nano
01 LCD 20x4 Blue background and White letters
01 mini size relay for 12V (not needed if used a SSR for pump)
01 Buzzer 12V

R8 - 120 Ohms
R2, R10, R11, R14, R15 - 1K Ohms
R1 - 2k7 Ohms
R4, R5, R6, R7 - 10k Omhs
R3, R9, R12, R13, R16 - 1M Ohms
P1 - 10k Ohms

D1, D2, D3 - 1N4007
Q1, Q2 - BC337
Q3, Q4 - IRFZ44N

08 Two Way PCB Mount Screw Terminals
02 Three Way PCB Mount Screw Terminals
01 Strip Line Connector Single Row Straight Terminals(come with 40 pins)
01 PCB sigle 11cm X 9cm

For key board we have two options:
use a 1x4 Matrix Membrane Keypad
use 4 push-buttons as keypad

*you may need an USBasp usbasp programmer interface to flash your Arduino Nano with the ArdBir SW

Thanks snow tires for the reply but I dont think that the components listed are for the Nano board that is shipping for free.

These have 19 resistors, 2 capacitors, 5 diodes, 5 semiconductors, 4 leds

I have a PCB for this project made from the drawings and I'll build it up over the next couple of months.

There a number of things I like to ask about,

What's the best way to mount it all in a enclosure/box? Are there any pictures?
The small display, do I just cut a matching hole in the enclosure and push the LCD into it?

There seem to be two possible sets of buttons a matrix membrane and real buttons.

How would I mount the matrix membrane so I could press its keys?
Or
If I use real buttons how do I connect them to the arduino?

Many thanks. Aamcle

I ended up building the open ardbir danielxan pcb. I made a pcb using the toner transfer method for the very first time. I soldered everything together tonight and plugged it in. It worked first try, without even adjusting the pot. I was very surprised. I am currently trying to locally source the transistors bc337, they seem to be very hard to find in my area.

What size pcb did you use?

What size pcb did you use?

I can't remember. I just printed it out on my printer and picked up a blank PCB that was larger. I had enough cut off to make another.

Do you guys have a stept by step tutorial for making this from scratch? I would like to have one but i don't afford to buy it for the time being. I am looking for a simple PCB that i can laser print at home.

You sir might be able to help me :D

I also have a grainfather and I'm looking into this project. I just finished my brewpi setup so I feel I'm up to the challenge. However there is not that much info out there. The brewpi has a massive community and howto tutorials which made it fairly easy to complete.

With the Ardbir there is not that much info to start with..

Although there is not a step-by-step guide available for the Ardbir; the schematics, BoM, and Eagle files are available which should provide enough information to get the Ardbir running. I've never used the laser printer method for making a circuit board, there are numerous youtube videos on how. Once you've gotten the PCB made you drill holes, solder in components using the BoM and schematics, upload the firmware, and then you should be up and running.

The availability of schematics and prints for the PCB are what I like about Ardbir. Not to be hard on other Arduino brewing projects, but I've seen a number of projects where they are "Arduino" based, but they provide no schematics or information necessary to make the PCB "controller" yourself. The only option is to buy their custom board. So after shelling out $150-$200 you have a board and necessary hardware, but at some point in time the project/business folds and you have no support and a custom board which is "Arduino based" but is not a true Arduino project.

Please tell me what is BoM :eek:
The first time i didn't saw the link for the ArdBir Nano. It seems that it could be the simplest one to try. I may order the PCB so i don't bother with the laser method as my printer is old and don't print as good as in the past.

Are the cheap chinese Arduino Nano clones good for what we are trying to do? Do they need some programming before or are plug and play?

Latest posts

Back