Great Lagers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
I just got a fermentation chamber/fridge setup and an toying around with the idea of making a lager. Downside is that aside from budweiser and XX im not all too familiar with any lagers. Can anyone recommend a variety of classic examples of lagers (american, german, belgian, etc...) so i might be able to hone in on a lager style i would want to brew?

One of my favorites is Victory Brewing Company Prima Pils which is brewed in the style of a German Pilsner. I've made several attempts to clone this. While neither were a clone, they all were delicious.

I just got a fermentation chamber/fridge setup and an toying around with the idea of making a lager. Downside is that aside from budweiser and XX im not all too familiar with any lagers. Can anyone recommend a variety of classic examples of lagers (american, german, belgian, etc...) so i might be able to hone in on a lager style i would want to brew?

Strictly speaking, there are only two types of beers in existence: Ales and Lagers. Nearly all commercial beer in the world is Lager, unless you buy English beer which is nearly all Ale. Emphasis on "nearly" in both cases.

The technical difference between Ale and Lager is where the yeast ferments. Ale yeast ferments on the top surface of the liquid, and Lager yeast ferments on bottom of the vessel. Lager is, literally, the German language word meaning : "to store", as in "where can I find a cold place to store this carboy for a few months?". Ale was typically not stored at all - served by the English pubs as soon as it was finished fermenting.

The German style of bier called "Alt", is a bit of an oddity: it's fermented with Ale yeast, but it's also cold stored in the Lager method.

I have drank my share of Alt while visiting Dusseldorf, but I don't really care too much for it as I have never been a fan of Ale - generally too bitter and watery for my tastes.

Bock is a lager, Maibock is probably my favorite style out of all beer. Try some bock to see how you like it.

Any of Ayinger's lagers (Celebrator and Altbairisch Dunkel are faves of mine), Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Spaten, Spaten Optimator, Paulaner Salvator...

Not sure if you can find it on the West Coast, but Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold is a great beer. Think pilsner (real pilsner, not BMC) with a fuller body and slightly higher ABV. If I were to get a temperature control chamber, a Dortmunder lager is probably the first thing I would go for.

I'm a big fan of darker lagers like bocks, doppelbocks and schwarzbiers as well. I haven't found too many of those that I haven't liked.

I'm a big fan of darker lagers like bocks, doppelbocks and schwarzbiers as well. I haven't found too many of those that I haven't liked.

Do they sell Weihenstephaner Vitus there in Kentucky? Try some of that if you get a chance.

Back