Easy Funky Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
Tried a technique I heard about on basicbrewingradio.com with my lastest saison on Sunday. After bottling most of the batch I dumped the dregs of one of my sour beers and dregs from a bottle of a Jolly Pumpkin beer(wild yeast/etc.) into the bottling bucket and bottled the rest of the saison. The idea of course is that the 'wild' yeast do their thing in the bottle. From a 1st hand account on the babblebelt.com I read and James' experience on the podcast it seems to work in a couple months or so. I will of course update this when/if I see results. Maybe this is old news, but its new to me. Lastly, if you do this you need to make sure your gravity at bottling time is not too high as the 'wild' yeast may drop the FG in the bottle much lower and cause overcarbonation or bottle bombs. If this works well it seems like an easy, fairly quick, first step into trying funky/sour beers.

Seems pretty risky to me. With a saison, I can see it being fine as long as you got good enough attenuation (down to 1.008 or so) but in any beer above 1.010, I would be very concerned about carbonation levels in the bottle.

I don't think there should be too much concern, even if you are around 1.010. The bugs usually trive on oxygen, and there won't bee too much in the bottle, so you can expect the beer to dry out but not low enough to create any problems.

soooooo, how did it go?

this was five years ago haha...

although i can tell you that you can get some yeast out of jolly pumpkin bottles, i just stepped up a starter from weisenbam to 2L, going to pitch it into...something, maybe if i think about it i'll report here how that goes :cross:

Back