I am PISSED at my dog...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
Stanley has always had a fascination with towels, but he was blocked from being around my fermenting carboy. Well, tonight while we were gone, Stanley found a way to get near my carboy and decided my towel was HIS towel and he pulled it off of my carboy. Normally not a big deal, right? Well, the top half of my beer was exposed to florescent lights for God knows how long while we were gone. Could have been 5 minutes or 5 hours.

How will I know if the lights affected my beer? The carboy is in a swamp cooler and was covered by the towel so no light could get in, the only thing exposed was half of the airlock. And I was going to bottle it this week...grrrr.

Stanley is in the doghouse. :) Nah, he was just being Stanley. I should have blocked it even better than I did. I cant stay mad at my boy. :(:eek:

Pretty sure your beer will be just fine....

Stanley is in the doghouse. :) Nah, he was just being Stanley. I should have blocked it even better than I did. I cant stay mad at my boy. :(:eek:

Bingo and well put. Most transgressions by dogs are the result of lack of proper teaching by the people they own.... :)

Should be cool man. All I've known about beer and light is that it skunks the hops. That's why we use brown bottles for beer but cider is ok in clear. I don't think it will be a problem.

Takes longer than 5 hours for anything harmful to happen to your beer. Now, go hug your boy and apologize for getting mad. And have a beer. :mug:

Takes longer than 5 hours for anything harmful to happen to your beer. Now, go hug your boy and apologize for getting mad. And have a beer. :mug:

Oh, I got mad at him, but HE didnt know it. In fact, as I was putting another towel on top, he brought me his ball and we played catch. He LOVES HIS BALL! I DID tell him if he did it again, he would get no more spent grain treats. His ears perked up...he heard me. :D

Oh, I got mad at him, but HE didnt know it. In fact, as I was putting another towel on top, he brought me his ball and we played catch. He LOVES HIS BALL! I DID tell him if he did it again, he would get no more spent grain treats. His ears perked up...he heard me. :D

My dog absolutely loves tennis balls. He doesn't even know he did something wrong, if I think he did something wrong, wags his tail, and I can never stay mad at him for longer than 2 seconds. :)

when you put the towel over the bucket, do you cover the airlock? it sounds like you do. he might have done you right by opening up the airlock holes

ok. like every1 else said, the beer is fine. have a beer, have a good talk with the dog about not going near the beer stuff, and go with it. ;)

I think the exposure to light issue is one of those things we are taught to worry about from the start as a preventive mantenance thing, but it's one of those OCD practices that modern craft brewers have come to toil over, which really rarely becomes a problem. I remember talking about skunked beers when we were kids.....ooooohh whatch out the beer might be skunked because it was sitting outside exposed to uv rays day after day with temperatures fluctuating up and down to extreams, if you want to skunk a beer this is how it happens. Perhapse with home brew there is a higher risk becuse of the lack of preservatives that many commercial beers are pumped with, but based on how careful we generally are with our brews I find it really hard to believe we could skunk a carboy full of beer. It's funny because I keep my beer in the dark all the time, and I go in furnace room once a day to check on it, I turn on the light for a minute or so, and look at it with a flashlight, and I get concerned, lately I have been thinking how crazy this is, and have let down my guard a bit.:tank:

You might consider switching to a black t-shirt, or something else the dog doesn't consider a toy. I have an old radio station promo t-shirt (XL) that I never wear, and it's perfect for slipping over a glass carboy.

Sunlight exposure can skunk your beer in a half hour. However, the OP should be fine if no sunlight was involved.

Back