Burlington County

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb

Reaction score
Any members on homebrewtalk in the Burlington County area? Seems we don't have a strong homebrewing presence here. That or I just haven't found it yet... hello hello hello hello... is anyone out there?

wow I thought Maple shade was Camden County (I was wrong) Burlington County is huge haha that is still almost an hour from me. I have heard of Barley Legal(and good things at that) I was hoping to find out there was something closer lol

I'm in Medford but not a member of barley legal.

care to give any reason why not?

I guess I'm considering checking them out, its just such a hike since i'm on the complete opposite side of the county

Just haven't felt compelled to join. I know some members. Owners of the two LHBS and they're all nice folks. Yea, that would be a hike for you to attend meetings. First Tuesday of every month at Iron Hill in Maple Shade. I know they'd welcome you.

LHbS? How come I can't find any local stores on google? Only store I knew of in the area is Columbus, one time I actually drove all the way to Princeton homebrew in Trenton for bottle caps. Thank god for homebrewtalk. Where are the other stores?

Oh can someone tell me what my location says? I updated it months ago but when I post it still looks to me like sea isle??

That is so weird. I swear it is updated in my info. Apparently there is some kind of mistake. I'm going to have to see if a moderator can fix it for me or something, I'm in pemberton now near McGuire. Thanks for the info.

www.tapithomebrew.com in Egg Harbor City

I see your in Browns Mills. Thought you were down the shore.

I used to live in Sea Isle City, when I did that was exactly where I went. Tap-It is top notch no doubt about it. Shawn and the Brew Jersey club were a really great group. If I didn't move so far from there I would have kept going to their meetings.

There is one in Columbus farmer's market on 206 between Eastampton and Bordentown. They are ok in a pinch. I will go up there when I realise oh crap, I forgot to order something, but it is VERY small and the staff isn't that knowledgeable (I think the owners kid runs it and doesn't seem that interested in brewing) it is like shopping in regular store. Not quite the knowledge and assistance you expect from the homebrew community. I'm not saying don't or I wouldn't go there, because I do. Just don't expect an excessively friendly environment or a lot of variety they have the necessities. Caps, bottles, hop bags, fuggles you get the idea.

So thanks for the info I guess I will have to check Berlin out.

Berlin just doubled their store size. Here's what they recently posted on Facebook.
"Wait until you see the changes in the shop....new ownership, new layout, new products, more base grains, and lower prices!"

How is the Berlin shop compare to online as far as prices. I would love to buy from a local shop but it always seems soo much more expensive then online.

Prices are not bad, they're pretty competitive on the stuff I usually buy. I've been mostly buying hops online at www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com cause I like the 4 oz packs. Remember, no shipping at the LHBS. Scott & Gina at Key and Barrel run promotions all the time and they are active in Barley Legal and they brew themselves. Plus, they're just nice folks.

Berlin just doubled their store size. Here's what they recently posted on Facebook.
"Wait until you see the changes in the shop....new ownership, new layout, new products, more base grains, and lower prices!"

I was down there a while ago when they were doing the remodel, looks like they were adding a lot of space. They refill CO2 in Berlin also, which is great when you need a refill on a weekend.

I'm in Burlington Twp. five minutes from the Columbus HBS, which others have said will do in a pinch, and I agree.

Just an update to this thread. It appears the LHBS in Columbus mart has closed. I went in there a couple of weeks ago to grab some dry yeast and the store is no longer there.

There is actually a new shop opening up within the first few weeks of may. Just a little one man operation running out of Joe Canals on rt 130 on Delran. Ill post more when I know. The owner is a personal friend of mine

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There is actually a new shop opening up within the first few weeks of may. Just a little one man operation running out of Joe Canals on rt 130 on Delran. Ill post more when I know. The owner is a personal friend of mine

Thanks for the heads up. Thats pretty close for me.

Just wanted to check in here. I'm a novice brewer living in Southampton, between Medford and Tabernacle, about 3 miles from Red Lion circle. I've been to Brew Your Own Bottle a few times, that's become my choice for LHBS as they are kind of my way home from work.

I'm planning on checking out Barley Legal, but my problem is that I have to be at work Wednesday morning before 5:30am. That's getting harder to manage at 53 years of age. I'm also trying to brew every few weeks to get some "inventory" in the pipeline. I'm certainly interested in connecting with other local homebrewers so let me know who you are.

Happy brewing,
Ken

Medford here also. You may also want to visit the Village Idiots in Mt. Holly. Two local guys who have gone pro.
http://villageidiotbrewing.com/

Friend of mine told me about that place, been dying to get there. I also like the High Street Grill, really one of the few places that I know of that brings in interesting brews.

I'm in Eagles Mere, just off Pricketts Mill road. Good to hear there's someone brewing in town!

I just found out about Village Idiots the other day, and was checking out their website this morning. I might check it out this Friday after work.

I'm planning on checking out Barley Legal, but my problem is that I have to be at work Wednesday morning before 5:30am. That's getting harder to manage at 53 years of age. I'm also trying to brew every few weeks to get some "inventory" in the pipeline. I'm certainly interested in connecting with other local homebrewers so let me know who you are.

Happy brewing,
Ken

Ken,
The meetings generally end by 9:00, and some members hang around at the bar till who knows when. It's only once a month, and it's a great time. I'm fortunate that I live only 5 min away, but you can't be more than 20 minutes or so. Looking at the Barley Legal Brewers map there are at least a half dozen members in your immediate area.

John

Hi Ken

I brew In a bag in Willingboro. Have been about 18 months. I keg everything.

Currently out of town. Would enjoy connecting with you. I find barley legal helpful but meetings are so noisy I have a hard time sharing info.

.....I find barley legal helpful but meetings are so noisy I have a hard time sharing info.

Yes this is an issue, acoustics in the room is terrible. One thing that a group of us did recently was to organize a bottle share meet to chat and swap brews. I was out of town at the time, but I got a bunch of stuff to try, and give feedback on.

I brew in my cramped, low clearance basement so my brewdays are pretty much limited to me. Other members regularly announce brewdays with open invitations to other members to stop by to hang out, or brew. Don't let the monthly meetings dissuade you from joining. Lots of other stuff goes on.

John

http://www.brewyourownbottle.com/
They are in westmont.

There is one in the Berlin Mart too.

Your location is still sea isle

I know the owner of BYOB a bit... great guy. The shop is really nice and he is super helpful. They do brewing classes and demo's in-store as well.. and there seems to always be some interesting stuff to sample, if you have time.

I live in Marlton, BTW

Back in town brewing tomorrow morning. I get my supplies from BYOB. Brett is very helpful and knowledgeable.

You can also try Princeton Homebrew near Trenton.

I buy everything from Brett at BYOB though, live by Delran myself

FYI - if any of you are Barley Legal members, I'm sponsoring a brew day on Sept 6th at my business location.
Please see the featured post in the BL Forums for details, but PLEASE do not post/comment on it here. It's a members (and guests) only event. Feel free to post on the BL forum. Another benefit to joining our club!

Back