Acetaldehyde question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifthcircle

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA with local grown hops from a friend of a friend.

Primary for 2wks, then racked onto 1oz more of the same hops.

Didn't taste very good at that time (couple days ago). I think its the green apple, Acetaldehyde, funkyness that I am tasting.

I did some searching, but thought I would ask what to do to possibly bring it back to drinkable. And/or figure out where it came from.

-Kurt

Well to start with, 2 weeks is a VERY YOUNG beer. Give it some time to mellow out. Acetalehyde comes from premature racking off of the yeast, poor aeration of the wort, poor sanitation (bacterial infection), and sometimes from oxidation of a fermented beer. Best ways to prevent it is to pitch a proper amount of yeast into well aerated wort and to practice proper sanitation techniques. But in your case... its simply too early to say if you have a problem... give it some time.

That's what I'm hoping is the case. I have brewed several IPA's in the same way without an issue. I did use a differenent Ale Pail though... Really hoping it's not something funky in there! (most likely cause at this point)

The fermentation seemed ok, but not as active as I like to see. I directly pitched one vial of WLP001. It didn't fizz over like I have had them do before.

Time to relax, try not to worry, and have a home brew :p

Sounds like you under-pitched and the yeast was stressed. All liquid yeast should have a starter made.

Back