Korea microbreweries???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler111

Reaction score
I am in Hwasong (about an hour south of Seoul) and am curious if anyone has good microbrew/pub recommendations in Seoul, Osan, Suwon City, etc? I'm only here for another week in business and would like to find some good non-Hite beer. Thanks all!

I haven't seen any microbrews but I am looking for any other home brewers. I'm sure you're already back home, but if anyone else on here is in the Land of the Morning Calm, let me know. I'm looking for a place to get some flip-top (grolsch) bottles since shipping is ridiculous to an APO for 2 cases. I live in Pyeongtaek and I'll be here for 2 more years. Anyone have any suggestions?

APO to APO is free yeah? Check with some of the guys in Germany, swing tops are all over the place here. I bet if you cover the cost of a crate of beer and package they wouldn't mind drinking it and sending you the bottles! I'm out of the country for a few more months or i would help, ping me around OCT if you are still in the market. It would be about 25 slightly used bottles 1/2 L or 750ml for around 20 euros (about 1/2 of that is bottle redemption). That would save you 40 bucks over AHS.

If you're still looking for microbreweries in Seoul, I can recommend 2, both in close proximity to each other. The first is called Craftworks. It's near Noksapyeong Station on line 6, across the street from Yongsan Garrison in the Kyungidan neighborhood. Their moon bear IPA is great. The newest microbrewery is Magpie, and it's literally around the block from Craftworks, they opened up after I left Korea, but I've had beers made by the owner, and they're exceptional.

http://craftworkstaphouse.com/directions/

http://magpiebrewing.com/#1c8/custom_map

I have lived in Korea for 15 of the last 25 or so years. The two above are good. I would also check out Platinum in Apgujeong. To my tongue, it is alot closer to US microbreweries in taste.

Craftworks has a good selection, but they all differ more in color than taste or mouthfeel. That is to say they are all a bit thin and watery. Good burgers and single malts, though:)

Another happy new development is select bars now stocking some good West Coast brews. Look for Rogue, Lost Coast, and Anderson Valley among others.

Finally, since you are there, try to get your hands on some good local stuff as well. Makkolli and other rice brews are making quite a comeback.

I just got back from Seoul and every place I went to sold, Lost Coast and Anderson valley beer. The same ones at every place. Even tap houses for other breweries carried them too, and included those beers in their sample flights.

I tried Craftworks a few times and I agree that there beers were all similar in mouthfeel. The pilsner was not at all what I expected and was so hazy I had a hard time distinguishing it from their weizen. But the service I received was the best in Seoul and the food was decent. Reilly's Taphouse was another story...

I stopped because I'm getting ready to leave and needed to exhaust my stock. I'll pick it back up when I get back to the States, of course.

I just got here in November and didn't bring any of my brew stuff. I have, however, gotten two friends to get kits and I just bought a 1-gallon starter batch. We might be starting a Pyongtaek Homebrew Club...

I will be heading to Seoul in the very near future, and I'm looking for places with good food and beer. For some reason I am "the guy" in my company who everyone turns to when they want to know where to go to eat and drink. Unfortunately, I haven't been in Korea for around 10 years, and the drinking establishments on my previous trips are mostly a blur of hostess bars due to the company I was in.

Besides Craftworks and Magpie, any good places to go while I'm in Seoul? FWIW, I will be staying in Gangam-gu, and it sure would be nice to find someplace closer than an hour+ away to enjoy some good food and beer. So far as I know at this point, I will be using public transportation, so places closer to train stations would be preferable.

You up at K16? I'm getting started and waiting for it to arrive from states. I've been up to Seoul homebrew but they are kind of expensive.

I live in Japan and was speaking with a friend who was helping out Hitachino Nest at Keyaki Hiroba beerfestival last month. He told me he was currently consulting in Korea for them since they were in a process of setting up a brewery in Korea. I don't know if they will be doing their regular line up, Korean originals, or what. They contract brew Brooklyn Lager in Japan so that might become available. Its all just 2nd hand info so take it with a grain of salt.
Cheers!

You up at K16? I'm getting started and waiting for it to arrive from states. I've been up to Seoul homebrew but they are kind of expensive.

I'm at CRC. I usually by the Seoul Homebrew when I forget to order something, but I get most of my supplies online. Shipping is still overpriced b/c I can't find an online homebrew supply store that has a good selection AND ships to APO. Send me a private message if you need more info.

ATC--you don't like Midwest? They ship to APO and have a pretty good selection. Their "normal" shipping to APO is USPS Priority so you'll get it in 7-10 days, without fail, but I never trusted it for any liquid yeast because I just imagine there are some terrible temp swings. You're still gonna pay for it but if you plan ahead you can get a large order together so that you take 1 hit just once rather than getting hit 5 or 6 times for smaller orders. For me, it was worth ordering from Midwest rather than hoping for something good from the Shoppette or having to drink something "craft" in the ville.

No problem. They shipped to APO as of this time last year. I don't see why they would have changed it. Every so often they would offer free shipping specials and I'd try to take advantage of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll be Seoul for a week on a grad school class trip. Has anything been updated since the last posts in this thread?

I also saw a place called Beer for Geeks Tasting Room that got good reviews on RateBeer. Anyone been there?

Beer for Geeks is cool! Good selection, but way overpriced! I do recommend the pizza place directly across the street. They have a vanilla ice cream float in locally brewed stout. I think it's called Moo-Mazing! Excellent! The Springs Taphouse and Craftworks are also within a 2-3 minute walk from there. There are a bunch of other places within 5-10 minutes. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any more questions! Enjoy Korea!

I've only been in Korea now a few days and I'm completely loving it! Not finding much easily available craft beer, but the soju is making up for it. I'll probably be hitting up Magpie and/or Craftworks in a day.

I'm finally back stateside and I hit up most of your suggestions. Magpie was easily my favorite and we also discovered The Booth nearby, which was really good too. I wasn't that impressed with Craftworks, except for the Moon Bear IPA. We also poked our heads into Beer for Geeks, but didn't get anything.

I'm finally back stateside and I hit up most of your suggestions. Magpie was easily my favorite and we also discovered The Booth nearby, which was really good too. I wasn't that impressed with Craftworks, except for the Moon Bear IPA. We also poked our heads into Beer for Geeks, but didn't get anything.

Yeah, Craftworks is ok, but there are a lot of other microbreweries doing bigger things in my opinion. With that said, they do have my respect...they basically started the craft beer movement in Korea. It's unlikely that you'd be able to enjoy a lot of the other local craft brews if they hadn't. I agree on Magpie. I don't know if you had it, but they make an excellent wheat called American Muscle. It's a bit hoppier than any other wheat I've had (except Zombie Dust). Really good stuff! Glad you enjoyed your time here!

Back