Avocado Mead Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoeyChopps said:
Yeah terrible progress. I threw it out about three weeks ago. I tried cold crashing one for a few weeks. The mead separated. So I was going to try both the top layer and the bottom layer to see what each tasted like. The top layer was thick like bacon fat and damn near made me throw up. After talking myself up I tried the bottom layer as soon as it touched my lips I stated throwing up. It was the worst thing I ever tasted. So my mead was a complete failure.

I hate to resurrect old threads but omg, this literally made me piss my pants how funny this was!

Keep in mind I think it's a wonderful idea or I wouldn't have found this post, but Joey has a wonderful way of describing his experiment lol.

Take care.

LANWrench said:
I hate to resurrect old threads but omg, this literally made me piss my pants how funny this was!

Keep in mind I think it's a wonderful idea or I wouldn't have found this post, but Joey has a wonderful way of describing his experiment lol.

Take care.

I'm glad you could laugh at my failure. I plan to give this another shot in the next few weeks to months ( busy with school) I will make sure to keep everyone updated.

What if you put the avocados in a blender with a bit of water and boiled it for a bit. Then put in the refrigerator so hopefully the oils will raise to the top and solidify so you can scoop it off. Does this sound possible?

LandoAllen said:
What if you put the avocados in a blender with a bit of water and boiled it for a bit. Then put in the refrigerator so hopefully the oils will raise to the top and solidify so you can scoop it off. Does this sound possible?

I did a pistachio pale ale and I did the same thing except I froze the solution and scraped the fat off. This is my next plan.

I might even go as far to heat up/ freeze more than once since there are so many oils in avocados. How many avocados per gallon would be good?

LandoAllen said:
I might even go as far to heat up/ freeze more than once since there are so many oils in avocados. How many avocados per gallon would be good?

I would probably do 4-5 decent size ripe avocados.

Sounds like a waste of honey but, to each their own I guess. Why not just use Avocado honey instead? I'm sure its not what you guys are looking for but it might be better than dumping batches.

MarshmallowBlue said:
Sounds like a waste of honey but, to each their own I guess. Why not just use Avocado honey instead? I'm sure its not what you guys are looking for but it might be better than dumping batches.

Looking for the next big thing!

MarshmallowBlue said:
Unfortunately, the next big thing is already here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/swine-bru-386808/ . But again, to each their own, enjoy wasting good avocados and good honey. I shall continue to follow the thread to see more nasty avocado paste meads.

It's not wasting avocados if I'm having fun and I can sleep at night not having to ask myself "what could have been?" No one lies on there death bed and says they wish the would have played it safe and saved more defenseless avocados. Cheers.

Back