Reuse Contaminated Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigscience

Reaction score
With a newborn in the house, by brewing has really slowed down. Things got in the way and I just now got around to cleaning a bucket fermenters from batches from 2 months ago. Out of the 4 of them, 1 had a nice pellicle in it and what looked like some mold. Let me preface this by saying none of the beers that were in them were contaminated (or at least showed any signs of it when their kegs kicked).

What I'd like to know is has anybody out there cleaned and reused a plastic fermentor that has been contaminated? Yes I know, buckets are cheap and brews are expensive and all that logic. Please don't go down that road. All I'd like to know is have people done it and has it worked out or not?

To date (knock on wood), I've only lost one back in 15 years and would like to not break that streak now. Thanks in advance for the help.

Not a very scientific answer, but I'd think as long as the bucket is not scratched, then a good clean and sanitize would work fine. I'd recommend using PBW and hot water, then Star-San.

To answer your original question, no, I've not really done exactly what you've done, but I have often gotten lazy and just rinsed and wiped a bucket. Then I clean and sanitize on brew day. They always smell like fermenting beer and it seems like I can never get that smell out, but I've never had an infection.

Not a very scientific answer, but I'd think as long as the bucket is not scratched, then a good clean and sanitize would work fine. I'd recommend using PBW and hot water, then Star-San.[...]

+1 Clean and then sanitize the buckets with a strong solution - and give it plenty of time to work - and you should be fine...

Cheers!

Back