Closest to Caramel Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bball3414

Reaction score
So im trying to do an Ommegang Rare Vos clone and found this grain bill online...

1 lbs. Belgian Munich info
1 lbs. Belgian Caravienne info
1 lbs. Belgian Pale info
0.5 lbs. Belgian Aromatic info
6 lbs. Dry Light info

I also emailed them asking for a homebrew recipe... they actually answered and said while not divulging secrets... they use caramel malt and grains of paradise.

Are any of these belgium malts considered caramel malt... or should i substitute anything...???

Also... here is the rest of the recipe... what do you think?

HOPS:
1.5 oz Styrian Goldings for 60 min
0.8 oz Czech Saaz for 15 min

Star Anise (1 star.. its like .4 oz or something like that)
.35 oz Corriander @ 10
.50 oz Sweet Orange Peel @ 10

DEF. NEED TO ADD Grains of paradise... but should i take any of the others out?

Yeast- forget what i bought... is at home ill update after work...

Thanks!

cool... thanks for the reply.

Since the brewery said they use grains of paradise... do you think i should take the rest of the add-ins out... or keep them?

I want to get this as close as possible to Rare Vos for my buddies bachelor party..

I haven't had Rare Vos in ages and don't remember its taste. Go easy with the grains of paradise in any case, they are very potent and take forever to age out if you overdo them. It's always possible to add more and/or different spices later in the process.

gotchya... ive never used them before... so thats good to know... do you think .5 oz is good to use?

Back