Heatstick 12 gauge electrical wire/cord?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redalert

Reaction score
You guys have any favorite online or B&M stores that sell inexpensive 12 guage power electrical cord. I'm planning to build a 2k watt heatstick but I'm having a tough time finding electrical cord that can handle 18 amps. I can assemble the plug if necessary. Home Depot only has 14 gauge wire. Thanks in advance.

I use 12-2 SJ cord. Works fine for me. Stays very cool to the touch and have not had a single issue with it.

You may not be able to find a pre-assembled cord there, but check the bulk wire. My Home Depot has wire all the way down to 6/4 (maybe even bigger). I bought 12 gauge by the foot there and assembled the plug.

redalert, If you need shorter cords, Lowes and HD sell them. They're appliance power cords. They're usually limited to 5' in length, but up to 6 awg.. 18 amps is very close to the 20A limit for #12 wire, you might be better off using 10/3 SJ cord (which my local HD has). You can also get that from a local electrical supply house (if there is one near you, that is). I have on occasion, made a "temporary" cord using Romex (or NMB) which is available a little more readily and by the foot at HD/Lowes.

A 12 gauge extension cord will work fine for a 2 kW heatstick. Usually they are underrated because they don't come with the 20A plug, which has a horizontal prong. As long as your outlet and in-wall wiring are rated for 20A, such as typically found in the kitchen, then you are good to go.

I bought a 14 gauge extension cord rated at 1875 watts. I know I'll get some heat from all the electricians but can I get away with using the 14 gauge for the 2k watt element? The 12/3 extension cords were like $50 and only came in 25feet. I didn't see any loose (on the roll) cable either. Last time I asked the HD clerk he said the largest for electrical appliance cord they had was 14 gauge.

BTW: I will exclusively be using my kitchen gfci outlets rated at 20 amps to power this heatstick.

I bought a 14 gauge extension cord rated at 1875 watts. I know I'll get some heat from all the electricians but can I get away with using the 14 gauge for the 2k watt element? The 12/3 extension cords were like $50 and only came in 25feet. I didn't see any loose (on the roll) cable either. Last time I asked the HD clerk he said the largest for electrical appliance cord they had was 14 gauge.

BTW: I will exclusively be using my kitchen gfci outlets rated at 20 amps to power this heatstick.

I know a guy (cough cough) that used 14 gauge extension cords for 2000w heatsticks without isuues...yet I guess. He (cough) has had no problems.:mug:

I know a guy (cough cough) that used 14 gauge extension cords for 2000w heatsticks without isuues...yet I guess. He (cough) has had no problems.:mug:

That's all I needed to hear. If I burn my house up I have only myself to blame. But hey for beer it's worth burning up my house anyway. :)

Shop around - Go to Menards.
You should be able to get a 12-3 extension cord for less than $1/foot. Then just cut the ends off and install a 20 amp plug.

Back