I'm new to kegging- Thinking of doing a H2O test run- am I over thinking this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikethepoolguy

Reaction score
Well thats it, replace the o-rings in my ball-lock kegs, clean, sanitize, fill (with water) pressurize, chill, wait, test. When I'm confident, repeat with beer.

I'm just a paranoid kegger newb that doesnt want to waste too much beer.

I currently have 3 empty kegs and 5 full fermentors and I am ready to go.

It would be pretty hard for you to waste any beer by doing something wrong when kegging. Practice good sanitation and just make sure when you first fill your keg and pressurize it, that you purge the headspace of any O2 by pulling the pressure release valve a couple times.

if they'll hold co2, they'll hold beer. what i do with new kegs (currently have 9), i charge them with co2, let them sit for a couple days, then pull the pressure release. if they came charged with co2, and usually do, then i test them when they arrive. if they have a hiss left after shipping, it's all good. never had any problems :D

Yeah a dry run with water is over thinking it for sure. It is a good thing to do to give you a better idea of how the system works though. If you are unsure how it all goes together and how it works put about a gallon in so you can see it in action. That'll also help you learn those little things like shooting beer (water) all over when a poppet sticks and such, lol.

If you or your family like soda though a carbed keg of water isn't a bad idea. With syrups you can have your own soda fountain.

Looks like we are both starting out on this kegging journey at the same time. After I built my kegerator a few weeks ago, I replaced all the o-rings and then filled the whole system up with water for a test run. For me it was beneficial as I found a few spots where I need to tighten things up. The biggest problem I had was that CO2 leaked at the spot where my regulator connects to the tank. It took me a bit to figure out that the problem was that there is a washer that goes between the regulator and the tank and it was missing.

My pale ale is about 9 days into fermentation; I hope to transfer it to one of my kegs this weekend and then try out my new kegging system next week!

Only thing I can add is that you mix up a spray bottle of soapy water so you can test the fittings for leaks. This you can do with them empty and it's quick. Connect, turn on CO2, spray fittings. Done (unless it leaks of course).

After disassembling, cleaning, sanitizing, lubing and reassembly, I add a little co2 pressure then listen closely for leaks, then disconnect the air line to make sure the poppet shuts well and listen again, then I reconnect it and add more air up to around 12psi (sometimes several steps in-between). A poor seal may leak more when it is only slightly pressurized, or more when it is highly pressurized. Then I set the keg aside (if time permits) and check if it retained pressure on a different day. If it did, I've got a keg ready to fill whenever I want it.

After disassembling, cleaning, sanitizing, lubing and reassembly, I add a little co2 pressure then listen closely for leaks, then disconnect the air line to make sure the poppet shuts well and listen again, then I reconnect it and add more air up to around 12psi (sometimes several steps in-between). A poor seal may leak more when it is only slightly pressurized, or more when it is highly pressurized. Then I set the keg aside (if time permits) and check if it retained pressure on a different day. If it did, I've got a keg ready to fill whenever I want it.

Sounds kind of like me though you do more steps. I store mine pressurized too. Clean them, run starsan through them then pressurize and leave them until I need them. If I pull one out to use and it isn't pressurized I know I need to spend some more time on it.

Actually that's what I do for kegs I have not used before. I've had pretty good luck with reconditioning kegs but I expect better with ones I'm familiar with.

just ordered my keg kit and should be here end of week, whats the best way to store a keg (when not full of beer :( ) is it ok to leave the water and san. solution in the keg till it's time to fill with beer ?

I run starsan through the keg with a transfer hose (beer to beer) then leave it pressurized. And yeah leaving starsan is fine... one of my stored kegs usually is full of it.

When I first got into kegging, I did a 'dry' run with h2o.

My thoughts were thatwhile it may be a waste of time, I was NOT willing to waste any beer. Time ok...beer ....no

So yeah, I wasted an hour or two going through all the motions using h2o, but I was a lot less worried when my precious beer went into the keg.

I say if you want a dry run with h2o, do it.

I 'dry run' test new gas fittings. when I added a second CO2 tank, regulator and 3 way gas distributor, I set it all up, pressurized to 10 psi, then closed the CO2 valve. left it over night...still holding 10psi. Thus, no leaks in the gas system.

You could then run the above CO2 test on the kegs to see if they hold pressure. this will tests all the posts, lid seal, etc.

But, I recently purchased a keg from my LBHS... knew he'd cleaned it, etc. and changed o-rings. Tank held pressure.

I didn't notice that the o-ring on my liquid out was missing. So, when I put starsan in the tank (my test/cleaning process) - I had starsan all over the floor. Was really glad that wasn't beer.

So, a water test isn't out of the question... but you might as well use starsan.

Back