Hops tend to show too few Ibu's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
I've noticed when I enter my kit contents into the receipe section, my hops indicator tends to show that the Ibu's are too little. It is trying to say that it is not enough ibu's for the chosen style. For sure, I'm not always sure I have the correct style chosen for the particular kit I am entering. But, say I have the correct style picked, and I show my Ibu's are too low, should I order extra hops and put them in the boil to bring it in line? Is it that important? My own taste preference is toward the malty / balanced side not the hoppy side, so I'm thinking I'm fine being on the low side. Thanks for your input.

Well, if you're a strickler for style, you could up the hops, dcrease the gravity of your boil, boil longer... a number of options. However, if you like what you are brewing, I say keep on doing what you are doing.

Back