First partial mash recipe...need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuelshopMcgee

Reaction score
Hey guys Im still wet under the ears having done only 3 extract batches to date so bare with me here ;)

I tend to jump into things w/out doing all the research I saw Deathbrewers post for easy stove top partial mash and I figured I could do that so I took a recipe of his for a dunkelweizen and tweaked it (w/out understanding diastatic power and such). This is what I have right now but im finding out that I may not get a good conversion with the grains that I've chosen as most are just flavor and color I guess:confused:

here is what my recipe looked like and what I have sitting at my house right now. Below I will put what I believe my changes should be to get this on track and you guys can let me know what you think please!

Size: 5.24 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 164.95 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.044 - 1.056)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.014)
Color: 18.83 (14.0 - 23.0)
Alcohol: 4.88% (4.3% - 5.6%)
Bitterness: 14.5 (10.0 - 18.0)

Ingredients:
1.0 lb Carawheat®
2.0 lb Dark Wheat Malt
2.0 lb Munich 10L Malt
.5 lb Pale Chocolate Malt
3.0 lb Dry Wheat
1.0 oz Hallertau (3.8%) - added during boil, boiled 50.0 min
.5 oz Hallertau Tradition (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
.5 oz Hallertau Tradition (6.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
.25 oz Orange Peel (dried) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale

Now from what I was told is that I should sub some of the munich for pale malt and perhaps some of the dark wheat malt for a regular malted wheat. Im thinking of this as my fix (below)

Size: 5.24 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 164.95 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.044 - 1.056)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.014)
Color: 18.83 (14.0 - 23.0)
Alcohol: 4.88% (4.3% - 5.6%)
Bitterness: 14.5 (10.0 - 18.0)

Ingredients:
1.0 lb Carawheat®
1.0 lb Dark Wheat Malt
1.0 lb White wheat
1.0 lb Munich 10L Malt
1.0 lb Pale malt
.5 lb Pale Chocolate Malt
3.0 lb Dry Wheat
1.0 oz Hallertau (3.8%) - added during boil, boiled 50.0 min
.5 oz Hallertau Tradition (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
.5 oz Hallertau Tradition (6.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
.25 oz Orange Peel (dried) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale

changes are in bold...

The thing I dont understand is how to get the diastatic power information from ordering? I'm also not positive how the darker malts are translating to poor diastatic power (converting starch to sugar correct?).

I put all of my original recipe into beer tools and everything seemed to look fine so I'm confused as to why my first recipe wont work. But of course I will take the advice of those of you that have experience. Any tips or advice for me?

Read How to Brew.

I like your second recipe. Darker malts have been cooked and some of the starches in them have been converted to sugars, most of which are not fermentable. Also, the enzymes that break down starches are denatured in the heating process.

absolutely good link and I did very briefly read through the beginning of that on my first extract brew. But I will definitely take my time and read through that cover to cover now that things make a little more sense to me.

I will work with that 2nd recipe and will report back on how it all turns out!

Thanks beerkrump

Yeah. I think I hit that site about every other time I brew. I'm one of those people that will research like crazy every question I have.

Good luck and good brewing.

Back