Cherry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
I brewed a Coopers Wheat Beer kit not long ago.

Link:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11734

Anyway, my Cherry Puree will be here tomorrow. A little over a week in the primary trying to find the puree.

Is there anyway to adjust my OG after adding the puree and racking to my secondary?

i assume it's not just as simple as taking a gravity reading, racking, adding the puree, taking another reading and then adding the difference to my OG.... :eek: :confused:

how much can i expect 3 lbs of puree to increase my ABV percentage?

Thanks

Haha, I ordered my Apricot puree the same day as you from the same company...and it's not actually shipping until tommorow. Krausen has fallen and I'd rather rack it into the puree than pour it days later.

Exo said:
Haha, I ordered my Apricot puree the same day as you from the same company...and it's not actually shipping until tommorow. Krausen has fallen and I'd rather rack it into the puree than pour it days later.

i haven't racked yet, waiting on the puree to arrive.

tomorrow night is the time :rockin:

i ordered by phone, did you order online?

Yea, I ordered online. They promptly sent me an email advising it would ship Wednesday and apologizing for the small delay so I'm satisfied and considere it a solid business.

i called to make sure they had the cherry in stock.

they claimed they had just been able to re-stock the day before i called. guess there is a small market shortage of the cherry puree right now.

anyway, while on the phone, i just decided to place my order. the girl was very friendly and helpful and said she would try to ship that day...

i ordered 2 cans for the HELL of it. Now I have a spare.

The website/company says these cans of puree are sanitized/sterilized. I'd have an issue with blending cherries then dumping them in to a carboy.

If you were able to pasturize them, etc. I'm sure it would be just fine.

I just keged a rasberry wheat and i just used frozen rasberry's added to the secondary. And i have to say that it was really really really good!!! I dont think that i'll add to the ABV b/c its more for a flavoring than a sugar.

autoferret said:
I just keged a rasberry wheat and i just used frozen rasberry's added to the secondary. And i have to say that it was really really really good!!! I dont think that i'll add to the ABV b/c its more for a flavoring than a sugar.

hey thanks for the reply, and congrats on your raspberry wheat, sounds delicious.

i also figured any natural sugars in the cherries would still get acted upon by the yeast. but i am new to this so i may not have any idea about what i am talking about.

i did receive my puree tonight. i will be adding the 3 lbs of cherry puree and racking to my secondary in about an hour.

looking foward to a taste and a gravity reading too... ;)

autoferret said:

My last batch was a raspberry wheat, and according to the people that help me drink it, it was the best yet.

I started with 1 pound of fresh raspberry in a mesh bag and boiled them for 15 minutes in the water that would become my wort. As soon as I was done boiling them, I placed them in a clean and sanitized Tupperware, and plopped them in the freezer.

When I racked to the secondary, I thawed out the frozen raspberry by putting the Tupperware in a bowl of hot water and kept it sealed. Once it was all thawed out I took the bag out and placed that into the secondary. (I also poured all the wonderful red juice into the wort.

1 week later I kegged and carbonated. (keeping the berrys in the mesh bag made it so there was very little mess.) I like to drink my wheat beers green, but this one was very sour, as in eating a hand full of fresh raspberry. Over the next week it calmed down into the best brew I have made to date.

Jetsers said:
My last batch was a raspberry wheat, and according to the people that help me drink it, it was the best yet.

I started with 1 pound of fresh raspberry in a mesh bag and boiled them for 15 minutes in the water that would become my wort. As soon as I was done boiling them, I placed them in a clean and sanitized Tupperware, and plopped them in the freezer.

When I racked to the secondary, I thawed out the frozen raspberry by putting the Tupperware in a bowl of hot water and kept it sealed. Once it was all thawed out I took the bag out and placed that into the secondary. (I also poured all the wonderful red juice into the wort.

1 week later I kegged and carbonated. (keeping the berrys in the mesh bag made it so there was very little mess.) I like to drink my wheat beers green, but this one was very sour, as in eating a hand full of fresh raspberry. Over the next week it calmed down into the best brew I have made to date.

that sounds like a great technique. :mug:

i am making note of that for the future...

well racking went pretty smoothly.

i have a couple of questions, concerns and comments...

first off, my SG was only 1.018. if you read the whole thread you will see i broke my hydrometer when i brewed this one, so i did not get an OG reading, but others told me about 1.045 was accurate for this kit. bottom line is right now this is only a 3.5% ABV beer.

dcam1683wn5.jpg

second, the smell when i popped of the lid was a bit pungent and sour. is this anything to be concerned with? also there was some stuff floating on top of the brew. maybe this picture will show it. is this ok? 2nd pic is some of the stuff on the trub...

dcam1685rc6.jpg

dcam1689az5.jpg

the taste was pretty decent, wheaty, but slightly tangy...

a few more pics:

dcam1679zz5.jpg

dcam1680cp3.jpg

the cherry puree in the secondary:
dcam1684uv8.jpg

anyway, here's to hoping it cleans up nicely and ferments to a little bit stronger beer.

looking forward to it either way... :mug:

PS, also Woooo, 'cuz I just moved like around the corner from Maryland HomeBrew. Like, I can walk there. Very nice folks, patient, informative. They also sponsor, like, local picnics/fun days for their customers to show off/compete with brews. Nice bunch of folks.

can anyone comment on the stuff floating on my beer and remaining on the trub?

my first beer did not have this residue...

P funky said:
Have you used the cherry stuff before? I kinda have to feel it has something to do with that.

no, i have not used the puree before, got the idea here.

but the puree was not added to the wort or primary, i just added it, so the STUFF, as i am calling it, was from the wort...

Yea, they (Maryland Homebrew) haven't shipped my apricot puree out yet. F$#king-h%ll. And my hefe is ready to be racked.

Just got an email. Shipped today. My guess is they were out of stock and awaiting a warehouse delivery. Still, my hefe will be over 2wks in primary....but I'm not worried.

Exo said:
Just got an email. Shipped today. My guess is they were out of stock and awaiting a warehouse delivery. Still, my hefe will be over 2wks in primary....but I'm not worried.

good luck with your apricot hefe :mug:

my wheat was in the primary for 10 days. :cross:

Back