Rose mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey971

Reaction score
Hey all.
Brand new to the mead forum.

I have all the ingredients for my first try gathered.
Something along the lines of Malkores.

1 gallon batch.
3 lbs. raw organic South Dakota honey.
Cloves.
Cinnamon sticks.
Yeast, nutrients, energizer, etc.

When I was at our "health food store" (old hippie ladies house)
I saw some dried rose petals, and thought they might also be a nice addition.
What do you think?

:mug:

Rose petals make a nice addition, just don't go overboard or it'll smell like an old lady's house. I made some a year or so ago and it really isn't my favorite.

Hey all.
Brand new to the mead forum.

I have all the ingredients for my first try gathered.
Something along the lines of Malkores.

1 gallon batch.
3 lbs. raw organic South Dakota honey.
Cloves.
Cinnamon sticks.
Yeast, nutrients, energizer, etc.

When I was at our "health food store" (old hippie ladies house)
I saw some dried rose petals, and thought they might also be a nice addition.
What do you think?

Sounds like a great batch. I have heard how you use Rose is basically make a rosewater, You heat up some water, not boiling, then put the rose petals in. Then let sit for a few hours, then just use the water. The essences do some out in the water. You don't use the rose petals directly. Also be very sure that the petals have NO pesticides on them. This is very important to make sure of. Keep in mind that this will make the mead a bit more bitter.

I recomend using a touch of something else too. Like say mint. Mint would be good with it. Given just a 1 gallon batch just a single sprig of mint would be fine. I would do both in the secondary.

Thanks for the input!

Any idea on how much to put in?
They are dried flowers though, not just petals.

I used one bottle of rose water in 5 gallons of mead for my rose mead and it was maybe slightly on the heavy side. This was commercial rose water, though, so I don't know how to translate that into how many rose petals.

I'm also not sure I'd mix rose with the spices... I think I'd do either or.

First mead whoooo!

Threw the rose petals in there and the must smelled amazing!!

Going gangbusters in primary right now.

EDIT: Should I tell the old man to throw on a blow-off tube for this, or are meads fairly safe?

It will depend on the yeast you are using as well as temp and how much nutrient you started with.

I have some rose petals and some dried rosebuds, was thinking about making a 3 gallon batch of some rose mead, how much should i use of either for a flavor that is not overpowering? and should i just toss the petals in the primary or make a rose tea?
thanks!
-Miles

Now I know what to do with the 3 bottles of rosewater I have in my magick stash. I also have bunches of dried Jacob's Coat rose petals. Great ideas coming on.......

MrMiles said:
I have some rose petals and some dried rosebuds, was thinking about making a 3 gallon batch of some rose mead, how much should i use of either for a flavor that is not overpowering? and should i just toss the petals in the primary or make a rose tea?
thanks!
-Miles

Rhodamel 3 gal 8-1-10
.18 lbs rosebuds from natural foods
1 collander washed red rose petals ( from my garden )
10 Lbs honey wildflower
Kv-1118
Water to 3 gallon
3 tsp nutrient
3 tsp acid blend
1.120 o.g

1/2 gallon water, boiled, roses tossed in stirred and steeped with heat off 1 hour. Strained water tossed into carboy.

Bottled a few months ago got 13 .750's
Smells fantastic taste is good but a little hot, this should age abit and will be great!
-miles

I was born and raised in the city of Rosemead california. Went to Rosemead High school... 3 years later after it's posted (2009-2012) I will try this old recipe.

I have been toying with the idea of making rose mead, but with wild rose hips rather than pedals, once it's later in the fall I am going I harvest and then the rose hip mead will be under way!

Back