Growing hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightbiker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SWMBO gave me the green light on growing my own hops. I know hops are traditionally grown in colder climates with shorter growing seasons than we have here in the Sunshine State, but I figured I didn't have a lot to lose -so I picked varieties that are supposed to do well in all climates (especially hot ones). On order are: Cascade (3 rhizomes), Williamette (2), and Mt Hood (4). I'd initially ordered only Mt Hood (which is why I ordered 4) -had I expected to be able to get the Cascade and Williamette, I'd have ordered fewer and possibly tossed in some Sterling, but no worries, I'll be happy as punch if these babies deliver the goods. To prepare, SWMBO picked up 9 21" diameter 19.5gal buckets (plastic) with rope handles -we will fill these babies (one for each rhizome) with potting soil (that bill weighs in at over a hundred bucks) because my soil really isn't very conducive to growing things (WEEDS have a tough time growing in my yard) -I'm figuring on sinking 3 long PVC "poles" in the ground, each supporting 3 rhizomes on string that will pass through an eye-loop at the top of the pole (from each planter) then run down the side of the pole -the idea being that at harvest time, I can just untie the string at the base of the pole, and let it out to bring the long vine-supporting side down to ground level for picking, then run it back up when done.
Pics will be provided as I get the rig completed.
I'm pretty excited at the chance to grow my own.

Sounds sweet, keep us updated. A brewing buddy of mine just picked a bunch of Williamette to try and grow here in AZ. If it works out I am considering growing some in a container myself. Gotta love all the facets there are to brewing, congrats and good luck with your venture!!!

Sounds sweet, keep us updated. A brewing buddy of mine just picked a bunch of Williamette to try and grow here in AZ. If it works out I am considering growing some in a container myself. Gotta love all the facets there are to brewing, congrats and good luck with your venture!!!

RBChallenger,

Where are you in AZ? I'm in Flagstaff and am attempting growing hops for the first time this year. I just planted 4 rhizomes today (2 Cascade and 2 Chinook). I have never grown anything before, so I am kinda assuming this will be a "learning" year. Do you live in the Valley? I would assume that it would be too hot for hops down there, but you never know.

Here's to a good 2009 yield for both of us!

Dustin

It's ok. We've all been there. Don't bother with the built-in search, just go to the top and click search and use the google search....right here

SWMBO gave me the green light on growing my own hops. I know hops are traditionally grown in colder climates with shorter growing seasons than we have here in the Sunshine State, but I figured I didn't have a lot to lose -so I picked varieties that are supposed to do well in all climates (especially hot ones). On order are: Cascade (3 rhizomes), Williamette (2), and Mt Hood (4). I'd initially ordered only Mt Hood (which is why I ordered 4) -had I expected to be able to get the Cascade and Williamette, I'd have ordered fewer and possibly tossed in some Sterling, but no worries, I'll be happy as punch if these babies deliver the goods. To prepare, SWMBO picked up 9 21" diameter 19.5gal buckets (plastic) with rope handles -we will fill these babies (one for each rhizome) with potting soil (that bill weighs in at over a hundred bucks) because my soil really isn't very conducive to growing things (WEEDS have a tough time growing in my yard) -I'm figuring on sinking 3 long PVC "poles" in the ground, each supporting 3 rhizomes on string that will pass through an eye-loop at the top of the pole (from each planter) then run down the side of the pole -the idea being that at harvest time, I can just untie the string at the base of the pole, and let it out to bring the long vine-supporting side down to ground level for picking, then run it back up when done.
Pics will be provided as I get the rig completed.
I'm pretty excited at the chance to grow my own.

Congrats. I started mine last year. Poke around in the Hops Growing forum for more advice.

Hops grow just about anywhere. The reason most US commercial hops are grown in the PNW is a combination of the amount of sunshine in June and July, plus very little rain in the summer. The lack of rain means fewer problems with mildews and rots.

Well, the 4 Mt Hood rhizomes came in the mail today, and were put into the planters tonight. Will take some pix and upload 'em tomorrow.
SWMBO -She Who Must Be Obeyed. Mine does not like beer, but without her permission slip, my brewing life would be pretty rough. She actually helped me put the hopyard together (grin) and she picks up odds and ends related to beer for me (I'm a lucky guy).
Just got notice that the remaining rhizomes (cascades (3) and williamette (2)) are on the way -should be here in a couple of days (woohoo! )
Down here in Florida we have an extended growing season (compared to most of the rest of the country) so I should be lucky enough to get a harvest this year, and a pretty good haul next year.

Someone up there said they ordered 9 types? Wow, you must have a hell of a yard (and a patient wife)!
I'm practically on pins and needles just thinking about the fresh hops.... :ban::rockin::D

Well, the 4 Mt Hood rhizomes came in the mail today, and were put into the planters tonight. Will take some pix and upload 'em tomorrow.
SWMBO -She Who Must Be Obeyed. Mine does not like beer, but without her permission slip, my brewing life would be pretty rough. She actually helped me put the hopyard together (grin) and she picks up odds and ends related to beer for me (I'm a lucky guy).
Just got notice that the remaining rhizomes (cascades (3) and williamette (2)) are on the way -should be here in a couple of days (woohoo! )
Down here in Florida we have an extended growing season (compared to most of the rest of the country) so I should be lucky enough to get a harvest this year, and a pretty good haul next year.

Someone up there said they ordered 9 types? Wow, you must have a hell of a yard (and a patient wife)!
I'm practically on pins and needles just thinking about the fresh hops.... :ban::rockin::D

Yea I have a little over 10 acres so I can plant a few and my wife got me to join the brewing club that I'm in she's a member too...Next thing you know I built a crazy brewing system...She's ALL RIGHT !
Pat

Got a question for those of you who already grow 'em. Does it matter what kind of twine or string I'm using for the plant to creep along on? Was thinking of using the same kind of rope I have on my 20' flag pole -its a cheap nylon line thats strong as hell (its weathered 4 years so far, on the pole). I can't think of any reason NOT to use it.

I think people use the hop twine because it gives the hops some "roughness" to attach to while climbing. The hops should be able to grow up it imo.

Back