Buying a Harley. Any Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna buy a 1200 Custom. Any advice on how and where? What should I expect out of a dealer? Will they deal right now or will I have to pay MSRP?

Sorry no Boobs.

Will they deal right now or will I have to pay MSRP?

I'm afraid you will pay MSRP or more.

I priced both a Buell 1125R and a Ulysses last week as a replacement for my aging Kawasaki ZR-7.
They stayed firm on prices at the dealerships I went to.

I can guess they will do the same for Harley models.

I would shop a few dealers if possible and get firm (written quotes). Use these to try and get dealers to better the others pricing. Aside from that, Harley dealers are pretty strick in pricing. I don't know if it is a Harley Dealer agreement, but they typically stay close to MSRP prices.

Also try to find a straight out deal by buying from an owner if you can. This is where you are going to get better pricing. Harley dealers do not give a trade-in the pricing they can get as a straight out sale from a private owner.

Good Luck.

Salute! :mug:

...Aside from that, Harley dealers are pretty strick in pricing. I don't know if it is a Harley Dealer agreement, but they typically stay close to MSRP prices...
In some businesses this is called price fixing and collusion is still illegal, but try proving it...:mad:

Saturn would never budge off of their prices either. Consumers knew that and now Saturn will be no more...the consumer has spoken.

On prices, it's a Harley. The name is what you pay for. If you won't pay that price, the next guy will. As an owner of a 89' E-Glide and former owner of a 99' Sportster, DON'T BUY A HARLEY! They are just an image thing now. he bikes leak everything, they are a pig on the highway and they are using 70's tech in the 2009's. Buy a Star, all the looks, quadruple the performance, same price.
2009 Yamaha Road Star Home, information, info

On prices, it's a Harley. The name is what you pay for. If you won't pay that price, the next guy will. As an owner of a 89' E-Glide and former owner of a 99' Sportster, DON'T BUY A HARLEY! They are just an image thing now. he bikes leak everything, they are a pig on the highway and they are using 70's tech in the 2009's. Buy a Star, all the looks, quadruple the performance, same price.
2009 Yamaha Road Star Home, information, info

Yeah, the bike may leak a bit from time to time, but don't try to tell me there isn't a difference between a yammy and a HD. The feel of a HD is quite different than any other, and I have driven them all.

If all you want is a poser bike that runs well and will get you to the coffee shop in style, then the yammy is for you. If you want/need the rumble of a real V twin, then the HD is for you.

I have had other bikes than a Harley and have enjoyed riding them all, but once I strapped on a HD I knew that it was the only one for me. My next bike, new or used will be HD. :mug:

I really don't get the harley obsession. I'd argue that the harley's are the "poser" bikes that get you there in style. Harley's, IMHO, are bought for the name - jap bikes are bought to be ridden. It's rare to see a harley with a crapload of miles, it's pretty common to see a japanese bike with lots of miles...

That said, there have been reports that harley dealers are becoming a lot more flexible on price in these tough economic times. The days of paying more than MSRP are over - too much competition. Build quality, price, and technological advances all have put harley at a disadvantage vs the japanese bike.

Good thoughts everyone. I have owned and ridden Jap bikes since my first, a Honda SL-70. Gone through many and still ride my Magna. I've been ready for a Harley for several years. Maybe the name, maybe the rumble, maybe the bad ass bike looks. So that argument is meaningless. Although I may look back and think different, I doubt it.

What I have found so far is that the used value is very close to new price. The difference being that the used has already been dressed up. But this will be my first Harley and everyone I mean everyone tells me I'll be trading up in a year.

I'm not generally the type to move from one to the next very soon. I figure out what I want, get it and keep it. But....Harley has a "Ride free guarantee" If I buy new I can trade in next year for MSRP on a step up. That is one thing I'm thinking about.

Sounds like I can expect to pay MSRP at a dealer these days.

I have just one thing to say:
1332-P1010045.JPG

Well, if you have to have one, I would suggest getting out of the Sportster family. In the Dyna family, it's hard to go wrong with a Wide Glide, and in the Softtails, I rode my friends Night Train, which is a nice bike. With the trading up, if you get a Glide or Softy, you won't have to worry about outgrowing the bike. I guess I just hated my Sportster, and hope no one else gets stuck with one.

StoutFan, your info is dated. Harley has really improved the Sportster line in the past 10 years. I own an '06 1200 Custom. It runs well, doesn't leak (at all!), and it's a ton of fun. If you're looking for a light, affordable v-twin with a little bit of "get-up-and-go," I highly recommend a 1200 Sportster.

It's no cruiser, but it's surprisingly nimble, and EVERY big cruiser (Road King) guy who makes fun of my Sportster winds up scaring himself when I tell him to take it for a spin. The comment is always, "WOW...that thing is FAST!" I'm not kidding myself...it's not that fast a bike, but its performance was a pleasant surprise.

You're gonna pay MSRP, but the Sportster is the only Harley that, IMHO, is priced reasonably. Be prepared to pay a few hundred bucks in accessories. You'll likely find yourself replacing the stock air cleaner and pipes. Additionally, I installed a carb kit/jets on mine, but you won't have that issue with an '07 or newer. They're all fuel injected now.

Well, the '99 I had was not up to my standards. Yes, they have improved over the years, but I would still move up to a Glide. My Electra Glide is smooth, powerful, and heavy enough for two up out to Glacier Park and back. If you want nimble, yes, the Sportster is for you. If you want stable, then get a Glide. I guess I've made my peace then.

Harley's, IMHO, are bought for the name - jap bikes are bought to be ridden. It's rare to see a harley with a crapload of miles, it's pretty common to see a japanese bike with lots of miles...

Really? If that's how you really feel, then I would have to say that you are spending time around the wrong crowd. I have several friends who all ride Harleys and I would have to say that each of them put around 8-10k miles on them EVERY year. Got one buddy in particular who rides to North Carolina, Louisiana, and Arizona every year to visit family and go to the NC smokeout. In fact, another guy I know has probably spent more money on his V-Star than any of the other guys and still has less than 10k miles after 4 years. But that bike sure looks pretty. Never gets dirty.

Point is, you can't generalize anyone on their choice of bike. You could make the same argument for cars. Who really NEEDS a Mercedes. Does a brand new one really drive THAT much better than a Toyota to justify the extra thousands of dollars? If you really want a Harley, then its up to you to decide if its worth it to you. The original OP asked for advice about Harley pricing, not whether or not to buy one.

And for the record, I will probably be buying a jap bike here in the next few months. Because of reliability? No. They are just as prone to problems as Harleys. I'm buying one because they're cheaper and cost less to insure.

Suzuki Boulevard. Lower cost and better rated. Plus you dont get the smugness of a Harley owner. And it doesnt cost you $15,000 in accessories.

ATGATT (All the Gear All the Time).

And, no, neither flipflops nor doo-rag qualify as "gear".

I've ridden Harley's from time to time...great bikes for "cruising" and very smooth on the highway. IMHO, that's what they are made for and they do it well. But, so far none has been a pleasure to ride around town or on the twisty mountain roads. The sportster 1200 has been my favorite bike of HDs to ride, for the exact reason Yuri_Rage stated...lots of power, fairly maneuverable, reasonable price (for a HD). But, unless I stop riding the twisties and stick to the interstate I'll never buy one. This is more my speed...

Yamaha FZ1 - 998cc R1 engine tuned and geared for touring

08FZ1_blk_4_9b4fd8e2.jpg

I've ridden Harley's from time to time...great bikes for "cruising" and very smooth on the highway. IMHO, that's what they are made for and they do it well. But, so far none has been a pleasure to ride around town or on the twisty mountain roads. The sportster 1200 has been my favorite bike of HDs to ride, for the exact reason Yuri_Rage stated...lots of power, fairly maneuverable, reasonable price (for a HD). But, unless I stop riding the twisties and stick to the interstate I'll never buy one. This is more my speed...

Yamaha FZ1 - 998cc R1 engine tuned and geared for touring

08FZ1_blk_4_9b4fd8e2.jpg

But thats still not as sexy as my baby.

2005-Suzuki-SV1000S.jpg

The SV650s is a fantastic bike, and an "around town" favorite for me. I prefer the V-twin low end to the inline 4 for frequent starts and stops. However, for long distance sport touring...I just can't get over the smoothness and gut wrenching power of the R1 engine!

This is my favorite ride around northern california: Motorcycle Ride Highway 36 - Red Bluff to Eureka, California

My favorite sight to see is that sign...the twisty road symbol with "Next 140 miles" posted on it! Mind you, this road goes up into the hills and quickly turns into 25-35mph corners, one after another until you almost get dizzy. Sigh...and I'm at work looking out at the damn rain!

I actually just traded in my 08 1200 Custom for a 09 Dyna Fat Bob. The dealer ship gave me full MSRP for my trade in so I couldnt say no. The best part was seeing my used bike on the showroom floor for less than what they gave me for it.

Dont get me wrong the Sportster was a great bike, but if I were to do it all over again, I'd go with a bigger bike from the start. Depending on how bad the dealership is hurting I would offer less than MSRP. There are a few HD dealerships here in the San Diego area, a few are REALLY hurting for business while San Diego Harley is selling bikes faster than they can assemble them.

Go to one of the slower places and try low balling them, its worth a shot.

I actually just traded in my 08 1200 Custom for a 09 Dyna Fat Bob. The dealer ship gave me full MSRP for my trade in so I couldnt say no. The best part was seeing my used bike on the showroom floor for less than what they gave me for it.

Dont get me wrong the Sportster was a great bike, but if I were to do it all over again, I'd go with a bigger bike from the start. Depending on how bad the dealership is hurting I would offer less than MSRP. There are a few HD dealerships here in the San Diego area, a few are REALLY hurting for business while San Diego Harley is selling bikes faster than they can assemble them.

Go to one of the slower places and try low balling them, its worth a shot.

That is what I'm thinking may happen to me. Big reason to buy new.

...Harley's, IMHO, are bought for the name - jap bikes are bought to be ridden. It's rare to see a harley with a crapload of miles, it's pretty common to see a japanese bike with lots of miles.....

I bought my used metric cruiser in September. Wrote a check. 1/3rd the price of a comparable style HD. I've put 3,900 miles on since October. The 7 or 8 HD riders at my office stopped riding a long time ago. (Even though they're still making payments all winter long).

...If all you want is a poser bike that runs well and will get you to the coffee shop in style, then the yammy is for you. If you want/need the rumble of a real V twin, then the HD is for you.

Ummmm.... HD sold the V-twin technology to the Japanese a long time ago...

Notice....the v-twin:D

FullSide.jpg

I do have to make a consession... harley's have THE sound...

But IMHO, (newer) metric cruisers have the style too...

My bike's an old piece of crap that's been used and abused, but she still runs - and I ride her damn near every day... She DOES have harley slip ons...

Mine's no beauty queen, but she loves to be ridden...

IMG_6987.jpg

Thanks for the help. I was able to get it for just below the MSRP. So I didn't save much, but at least I didn't go in blind. I did get the discount on any accessories I will add. And they gave me the color option. So at least I don't feel like I "bent over" on the way out.

Harley002 (Medium).JPG

Congrats! That's a nice looking ride. I had a '96 sporty 883 back when I was in college and LOVED IT! The only thing was that I was soon ready to step up to a bigger engine. I'm a small dude (5'-7", 135lb), so my '02 FXDWG at 1450cc was a huge step, but well worth it. Keep us posted on your adventures, and let us know if you trade in for a bigger one ... most do.

Here's my baby ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36453494@N02/3363880537/

Damn, can't get the picture to show.

I have an 08 Harley Street Bob. It is in the shop now getting fixed up as I went down a few weeks ago when a stupid M-Fing cager cut me off in the rain.

And, here is the deal, I don't give a flying monkey's ass what you ride as long as you enjoy... do me the same courtesy.

Back