Great Raspberry Mead!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyweed

Reaction score
Hi all.

I thought I'd post this recipe for a great Sweet Raspberry Mead. I just did a second racking on mine and it's clearing very nicely as you can see from this pic:
mead6.jpg

Here's the recipe (Makes 1 gallon)
Yeast - 1 packet EC-1118
1 gallon Spring water (will not use it all) to make up 1 gallon when mixed with honey
4.5 lbs Wildflower Honey
12 oz. red raspberries
juice of 1 fresh lemon (not bottled)
juice of 1 fresh lime
3 TBS - strong english tea (earl grey)
1 tsp - yeast nutrient

Combine all ingredients. Rack off raspberries after 1 week. I racked twice, once again just today 11/11/08.

Clearing very nicely, nice aroma, and sweet raspberry/honey taste...a bit of alcohol bite right now, but will age out I think, because it's not really predominant. Has a nice dark pink color and legs that climb up the glass already.

Dan

Looks interesting, what was your starting gravity, what is it now. 4.5# of honey should exceed the 18% tolerability of the EC-1118 (not to mention the sugar in the rasberries). Is it cloyingly sweet?

Liquisky, I don't know what the S.G. was..I forgot to take a reading when I started it. I will say it IS a sweet mead..but it isn't overwhelmingly sweet. the gravity right now is 1.070

I think I may carbonate this one..seeing as sweet and fruity as it is...I think it would be better sparkling.

Dan

I would say if you don't like it really sweet...cut the honey back to maybe 3.5 pounds or so. I think if I make it again, I'll do that, but go with 1 pound of raspberries and see if I can eek out just a bit more raspberry in the final taste. It's not bad now, but I'd like it just a tad stronger in the raspberry department

Dan

I just made a one gallon test batch with 2.5 pounds of basswood honey and 12oz of frozen raspberries pureed in the blender first. Typical honey ratios are 12-15lbs per 5 gallon batch so 1 gallon would call for 2.5-3 pounds. It needs to ferment for a while longer but I'll check back in.

Liquisky, I don't know what the S.G. was..I forgot to take a reading when I started it. I will say it IS a sweet mead..but it isn't overwhelmingly sweet. the gravity right now is 1.070

Dan

How old is this mead? 1.070 should be very, very sweet and not even half fermented. Perhaps the acid in the primary and the high SG hindered the fermentation somewhat.

This mead was made on 9/27/08. First racking off the Raspberries was 10/18/08 and second racking to clear remaining particles and sediment was 11/11/08 and is where I am at now.

I will say that the fermentation was VERY active and almost exactly the length of time that the "creator" of this recipe said it would.

The guy I got this recipe from has been a mead maker for years and years now, so I trust he really knows what he is doing. He has produced some very very nice meads that I have tasted.

I am going to keep an eye on the S.G. over the next few weeks and see if it continues to drop.

Dan

This mead was made on 9/27/08. First racking off the Raspberries was 10/18/08 and second racking to clear remaining particles and sediment was 11/11/08 and is where I am at now.

I will say that the fermentation was VERY active and almost exactly the length of time that the "creator" of this recipe said it would.

The guy I got this recipe from has been a mead maker for years and years now, so I trust he really knows what he is doing. He has produced some very very nice meads that I have tasted.

I am going to keep an eye on the S.G. over the next few weeks and see if it continues to drop.

Dan

I'm not questioning the skills of the gentleman designing your recipe. I am saying that 4.5 pounds of honey is almost a half gallon and that would make it, without the addition of raspberries, 50% honey and 50% water. This is a very high SG mixture that would require very intense fermentation management (stepped nutrient additions in the proper amounts and aggressive aeration and oxygen addition early in the fermentation process) or, as you have found out, the fermentaion process could take months, resulting in off odors and flavors and perhaps even a stalled fermentation that would invite spoilage organisms.

1.070 means that there's still a long way to go before this fermentation is complete. Most finish at 1.010 or below. A sweet mead is anything over 1.020 and I've seen a lot of meads that started out at not much higher than your 1.070. Good luck and, as you say, just keep an eye on it and don't try bottling too soon.

Yep, and thanks for the advice..I am just gonna let it sit now and take an occassional gravity reading and see where we go from here.

Dan

ok I'm a mead rookie, but I'm intrigued by this recipe...

I'm assuming there's some boiling involved? Papazain's mead recipes say to boil ~15 minutes...

I'd like to try this though; sounds yummy!

nope..NO boiling involved. I personally do NOT believe in boiling anything that goes into a Mead recipe.

Dan

Digging up an old post but that's the beauty of search! I made this today and am using my old Mr. Beer for the primary covered with cheesecloth and will move it into a gallon jug in 7-10 days. I took a SG and got 1.124 which seemed high but I'm used to beer stuff more then wine stuff. Is that going to be over the top high or am I in the right ball park? I cut the honey down to 3.5 pounds with 12 oz frozen (thawed) raspberries. I assumed the tea called for was brewed and not just loose leaf but I can't see it being a huge problem either way; if it's leaf, I guess I have time still to chuck it in there but I'm inclined to let it roll for now.

I made some thing similar in the summer, 5l jar, 2.3kg of cheap honey, 1.3kg frozen raspberries. Boiled with nutrients. I know not to boil now but tis was my second mead. Og was off the scale so dunno but fg was 1.032 which was higher than I wanted but this mead is young and tasting amazing. I bottled it young to get the Demi John, here is a pix of the dregs from bottling. Tastes amazing. Sweet and raspberry and red

ForumRunner_20121207_095248.jpg

Back