Bottle Bomb Worries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
I just gave out some cider in beer bottles as Christmas gifts and now I'm nervous. :eek: The cider was basically EdWort's Apfelwein recipe plus some blackstrap molasses, and it fermented out from 1.063 to 1.000 over a period of about 7 weeks. It tastes great, so I'm not worried about that. ;) I'm just concerned that these bottles might be ticking time bombs.

I primed 5 gallons with 5 oz. of dextrose, and filled two (2) 64-oz. growlers (with plastic screw-tops) and about 36 12-oz. beer bottles. When I opened one of the growlers on Christmas Eve to make some wassail, it had already built up some serious pressure, and that was only about 2 days after bottling! The other growler was supposed to be for this Saturday, but the cap looks like it's going to blow off any minute now. I can vent that one no problem, but I'm worried about the 12-oz. bottles becoming glass grenades.

All the bottles have about 1" or 1.5" of headspace. My yeast was Lalvin Montpelier wine yeast. Am I worrying over nothing? Or do I need to tell everyone to open the bottles up pronto and/or crash cool them? :confused:

Yeah, the math side of things looks good. At 1.000 there really couldn't be too much more fermentable sugar left in the cider. And the 5 oz of priming sugar can only produce so much CO2.

My main concern is that there was already some unknown amount of CO2 in the cider when I primed it. It was clearly effervescent as I racked it into the bottling bucket. With my beers, there is never really any CO2 in solution at that stage, and they always end up being optimally carbonated after 2-3 weeks in the bottles/kegs with 5 oz. priming sugar per 5 gallons.

I guess I should crack a bottle tonight and see what happens. I've been looking over Lalvin's spec sheet for the Montpelier yeast strain, and it looks like if worse comes to worst, I can just tell people to put the bottles in the fridge and the yeast will stop dead.

*edit* OK, I just sampled one of the cider bottles and all is well. The cider has just a hint of carbonation so things are going at the normal pace. The growler just happens to have a very flexible plastic cap that makes it look like the bottle is highly pressurized even when it's not.

FWIW, that little bit of blackstrap molasses seems to go a long way toward giving the cider a nice round flavor profile!

Back