Nottingham yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nottingham's temperature is 57-72 degrees, so I'd say you're fine! If it was early in the fermentation, though, I'd be a little concerned. When the fermentation is really going, the temperature inside is higher than outside. So, when the main fermentation is done, it might drop below the lower end of the yeast's range. If it's already fermented, though, the low temperature is actually really good for the beer.

Are you reading the temperature of the room, or of the beer?

room temp is 60 deg. I made a starter and i'm having blowoff. Will this low temp make a cleaner tasting brew

hotammo said:
room temp is 60 deg. I made a starter and i'm having blowoff. Will this low temp make a cleaner tasting brew

Yeah the beer will be "cleaner". The yeast won't throw off as many esters so the grain/hop profiles can shine through...

I tried using an even lower temperature with Nottingham once (it's said to work as a bottom-fermenting yeast at below 57, producing sulfur and a clean, lager-like beer), and it went fine, except the temperature in the fermenting wort rose to at least 62. It all fermented out in 4 days or so, and ended up excellent if a little fruity for a wannabe lager. It should be fine for an IPA.

Yes, but if your room temp is 60, the beer temp is probably more like 65 degrees. A good investment is one of those "fermometers"- they look like aquarium thermometer strips. They cost about $3, and you stick them on the outside of the fermenter. They're pretty accurate and will give you a good indication of the temperature that's INSIDE the fermenter. Room temperature isn't really a good indication.

hotammo said:
:off: you don't need a starter for dry yeast, like nottingham. In fact, it's recommended that you not create a starter for them, though I'm sure no harm was done ... just an extra, unnecessary step.

I rehydrate all my dry yeasts including Nottingham(no starters here)-They've all finished really well.
Kudos on the Nottingham choice....

You do harm to your yeast by not rehydration per the manufacturer's instructions. If you want to make a starter after rehydrating you can but I would just use another yeast packet, it's cheaper.

Back