Hazelnut extract...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I will be making a Hazelnut Brown Ale in a few days (recipe compliments of beernut.com) and my local brew shop does not carry hazelnut extract. I don't have time to place an order from an online brew supplier and I need some ideas of where else I could find the same type of extract. Are all of them (including the ones used for baking) the same? Do I have time to make some with oils or alcohol and hazelnuts? Could I just throw crushed hazelnuts in my boil, or perhaps could I even substitute something else to get the same flavor?....and if so, how much of either should I use?

I love nut brown ales, but most of them don't have enough of a nutty flavor for me, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know and keep in mind that I'll probably be using more than the specified amount to obtain the flavor I want.

Thanks in advance.

the time i was brewing a chocolate hazelnut porter, i didn't have any hazelnut extract available so i made my own.
i bought a small bag of shelled and skinned sliced hazelnuts and toasted them until slighlty brown.
ground them up and soaked in vodka for a week to extract the flavour then filtered to get a clear extract.
it was a lot of work and in my opinion was not as strong flavoured an extract as the commercial version, but was better than nothing

I'm not sure if they carry Hazelnut but Whole Foods has a pretty good selection of extracts that my LHBS doesn't carry. They come in miniature knuckle-sized bottles so don't overlook them. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back