20 minute hop addition only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I've yet to see a recipe that does not add hops before 20 minutes. If I remember the numbers right (and probably don't) you get about 35% conversion of AA from a 60 minute boil and 19% from a 20 minute boil. Is there a "need" for a 60 minute or FWB addition?

I plan on using a high AA hop for flavor at 20 minutes, and want to keep my IBUs down. Is there a reason not to do this?

There is no NEED to do it, it's just common practice to get more bitterness from the hops you spent your hard-earned money on.

FYI, I've seen plenty of recipes like this - Berliner Weisse! :)

The 60-minute additions cost less. Most of my recipes follow a 60-15-1 schedule, but I have made one using hopbursting. It all depends on what you are going for. Some beers are great without a lot of hop flavor and aroma. Some beers are great with tons of it.

It just depends on the hops you use and how you expect them to perform. I'm still kinda old school on my bittering hops, because I generally use them just for bittering and add them at the usual 60 minute mark. The trend right now, especially in West Coast IPA's, is to use a lot more flavor and aroma hops near the end of the boil. There's nothing wrong with this approach and it will produce very strong flavors and aromas in the beer.

My favorite recipe is very much like Jamil's Evil Twin recipe- hops start at 20 minutes and end at 0 minutes. I really like the hops aroma and flavor (along with adequate bitterness) I get when using hopbursting.

I just brewed a beer like this. It's a pale ale with a little bit of wheat. I wanted a lot of hop flavor and aroma without too much bitterness. Hopefully it turns out well.

My average ales are hopped for flavor at 20 & 10. Maybe a little more bittering,but lots of flavor. Or at least flavors appropriat to the brew involved by way of the hops used for a particular result.

I use high AA hops and only hop burst...its not that expensive at all vs using low AA aroma hops. 1-2 oz and you can easily break the 100 IBU mark with Centennial, Summit, Citra, etc. Its a price I am willing to pay for better aroma, flavor, smoother bitterness. In my experience, the bitterness is always less than the calculated IBU.

I did a side by side with my 110 IBU against SN torpedo and the torpedo was far more bitter than my brew. Granted, my ale was on the sweeter side which might have masked it but there was a marked difference.

I use high AA hops and only hop burst...its not that expensive at all vs using low AA aroma hops. 1-2 oz and you can easily break the 100 IBU mark with Centennial, Summit, Citra, etc. Its a price I am willing to pay for better aroma, flavor, smoother bitterness. In my experience, the bitterness is always less than the calculated IBU.

I did a side by side with my 110 IBU against SN torpedo and the torpedo was far more bitter than my brew. Granted, my ale was on the sweeter side which might have masked it but there was a marked difference.

Esimating IBUs is far from an exact science.

Back