Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"No, that still tastes like beer" My wife after asking her brother to bring a Bud Light Lime over yesterday.

She went on to drink a Duchess and really enjoy it though.
Looks like we have another female who only likes sour beers.

Halbrust said:
"No, that still tastes like beer" My wife after asking her brother to bring a Bud Light Lime over yesterday.

She went on to drink a Duchess and really enjoy it though.
Looks like we have another female who only likes sour beers.

My best friend's wife did the exact same thing with a Duchess over New Years. Said almost the exact same thing when she tried several of my non-sour homebrews, too.

My best friend's wife did the exact same thing with a Duchess over New Years. Said almost the exact same thing when she tried several of my non-sour homebrews, too.

When my wife tasted my first (and so far only) home brewed beer she said it was the best ber she'd ever had. Knowing that she disliked beer I wasn't sure how to take her compliment. Luckily I had a judge taste it outside of judging and got a snotty(but friendly) "beginners luck" so I know it's pretty good.

After a few slugs of Dale's pale ale (6.5%) i had a thought that maybe he didn't do as well on his if he even brews at all. He might just be a beer drinker that thought tasting a bunch of free beers might be cool. Or something to that effect anyway...:mug:

"Not too crazy about German Beer. I tried Beck's and didn't think it was anything special." Me, about 10 years ago. Glad I've learned a thing or two about beer since then. :eek:

A couple of weeks ago I was at a wine shop in Midland TX that sells some good beer and even has 4 taps to sell for on premise consumption. They had DFH 120 Minute on tap, a true rarity in our part of the world. I heard the girl behind the bar explain that they could only sell 6 oz glasses (at $12 each) because the brewery had no way to control how alcoholic each batch was and the beer could be anywhere from 12 to 25% ABV. A couple of women sitting next to me drinking wine were intrigued, bought a glass and couldn't take more than a small sip so I inherited a glass of 120 Minute.

Oh oh, just saw one. From a LHBS email newsletter:

For beers of gravity of over 1.060, you will need to pitch two packets of yeast, or your beer will not carbonate properly.

Oh oh, just saw one. From a LHBS email newsletter:

For beers of gravity of over 1.060, you will need to pitch two packets of yeast, or your beer will not carbonate properly.

Your LHBS put this in their newsletter? :smack:

I live in Ireland, I like Murphy's and love Beamish but I really cannot stand Guiness. Not only this is more of a fashion thing over here but they also have pretty aggressive sales methods: My local is the main craft beer bar in town, they have to trade beers for CO2 since Guiness controlls the CO2 market and do not deliver to pubs who don't server Guiness...

Latest funny one: A colleague knows I brew, he asks me about my beer and another colleague mentions:
-I do not like ales, they are too flat

Since he comes from Germany I tell him that beer are ales or lagers and that most German beer would be ales. His answer:
-So Guiness is an ale?
ME: Yes
HIM: Wrong, this is a Stout!!

<3 that Howling Gale Ale.

Since he comes from Germany I tell him that beer are ales or lagers and that most German beer would be ales.

What?

do-you-even-drink.jpg

Howling Ale is not bad at all, 2 others I really like here are the Ohara Irish Pale Ale and the Rowers

"Not too crazy about German Beer. I tried Beck's and didn't think it was anything special." Me, about 10 years ago. Glad I've learned a thing or two about beer since then. :eek:
It's the same thing in the opposite direction. When I tell friends in Germany that I like American beer, they think BMC, I think craft.

I heard the girl behind the bar explain that they could only sell 6 oz glasses (at $12 each) because the brewery had no way to control how alcoholic each batch was and the beer could be anywhere from 12 to 25% ABV.
That is a retarded statement!
Forget the fact that homebrewers can get batch after batch to be within 1%ABV of their target. The laws for commercial brewing mandate that ABV has to be consistent.
I don't know if the woman was stupid, or trying her own marketing gimmick, but it pisses me off a little either way.

Buddy hanging out while I was brewing:

Buddy: "What's that stuff you're spraying on everything?"

Me: "Sanitizer, but it's cool. It's food grade. You could actually ingest it and be fine, and it doesn't affect the beer's flavor."

Buddy: Squirt, squirt in the mouth..."HACCCHHH, HACCCHHH! Why'd you let me do that???"

Another time...

Buddy: "Is it ok to eat one of these pellets?"

Me: "Yeah, but I wouldn't..."

Buddy: Chomp, chomp "Oh, citrusy and bitter!"

Me: "Good luck with that."

Buddy: "Ahh, that's intense."

Me: "Yep."

Buddy: Later, "Oh, that really stays with you."
Buddy: Next day, "Man, I tried brushing my teeth...didn't really help."

That is a retarded statement!
Forget the fact that homebrewers can get batch after batch to be within 1%ABV of their target. The laws for commercial brewing mandate that ABV has to be consistent.
I don't know if the woman was stupid, or trying her own marketing gimmick, but it pisses me off a little either way.

120 Minute has had different ABV ranges depending on the year of release, but they certainly know what each batch finishes at. Commercial beers aren't required to be consistent, but packaging laws dictate that the packaging must reflect the actual contents. So different batches can be different ABV, but they each need to be labeled correctly.

Bierliebhaber said:
Buddy hanging out while I was brewing:

Buddy: "What's that stuff you're spraying on everything?"

Me: "Sanitizer, but it's cool. It's food grade. You could actually ingest it and be fine, and it doesn't affect the beer's flavor."

Buddy: Squirt, squirt in the mouth..."HACCCHHH, HACCCHHH! Why'd you let me do that???"

Another time...

Buddy: "Is it ok to eat one of these pellets?"

Me: "Yeah, but I wouldn't..."

Buddy: Chomp, chomp "Oh, citrusy and bitter!"

Me: "Good luck with that."

Buddy: "Ahh, that's intense."

Me: "Yep."

Buddy: Later, "Oh, that really stays with you."
Buddy: Next day, "Man, I tried brushing my teeth...didn't really help."

Is your buddy not playing with a full deck?

Oh, I just remembered one! It has to do with wine, but it makes no difference...

The wife and I were staying at a hotel once that served homemade wine in it's restaurant. We were in for the night and we were on vacation, so we decided to order the 1 liter carafe of wine and split it.

Waitress: Are you sure you want that much?

Me: Oh, yea. We aren't driving. It's ok.

Waitress: It's a full liter. Maybe you should just start with a glass.

Me: I know. It will be fine. We can split it.

Waitress: but this is a BIG liter of wine.

Me: ....? :drunk:

I wasn't aware that liters came in different sizes until that night.

dkwolf said:
Heck, those are the types of guys worth keeping around just for the comic value.

Those are the Darwin award contenders. Typically statements start out with "Hold my beer and watch this..."

Is your buddy not playing with a full deck?

Heck, those are the types of guys worth keeping around just for the comic value.

Hey Bierliebhaber, was that all from the same guy?

Those are the Darwin award contenders. Typically statements start out with "Hold my beer and watch this..."

Yeah, from the same guy...and yes, he is still with us. I keep him away from my double-jet burner, though. Needless to say, these are only a sample of a brilliant compilation. :tank:

My LHBS is actually a BOP that sells ingredients too. I was excited to learn that there was someone locally that I could buy grains from and the guy proudly said "we're the only place in town that brews all-grain." I then proceeded to ask what base malts they carried to which he responded by pointing to their bulk drums of LME, glucose and rice syrup. :smack: I was curious about their other staff, so I came in another time and asked a different guy about their base malts and he showed me a bucket full of Carastan. :smack: :smack: :smack: I couldn't imagine how a beer brewed with 10 lbs of Carastan would taste.

IME, it's gonna be even more impressive when you hear, "give me another beer, and watch this!"

Chewing hop pellets isn't normal? Hmmmm...I mean, yeah, that story about the guy eating hop pellets, that's some funny stuff! Ha ha!

[...]Chewing hop pellets isn't normal? Hmmmm...I mean, yeah, that story about the guy eating hop pellets, that's some funny stuff! Ha ha!

Been there, made that mistake.

A looooong time ago I went to college in Denver, close enough to Golden that attendance at the Coors hospitality tour was pretty nearly a bi-weekly happening. They actually served some pretty good brews that never saw a hint of commercialization, which was the real draw.

But they wouldn't let you make a bee-line to the tap room - you had to take the whole tour - which after the fifth or sixth became surprisingly monotonous.

So, one time I sidled up to a 35 gallon rolling bin of pressed whole cones and tucked a pinch in my cheek. Once I got that wad masticating the most amazingly potent flavors hit me - like the hot kiss at the end of a wet fist.

It screwed up my perception of hops so badly I pretty much stopped drinking beer and switched to Crown Royal for the next few years.

Major bad juju. Fortunately, just a weird memory...

Cheers!

But they wouldn't let you make a bee-line to the tap room - you had to take the whole tour - which after the fifth or sixth became surprisingly monotonous.

Cheers!

Now days your can just walk in and say "short tour" and turn straight into the tasting room.

At a local restaurant New Belgium is in the import column on the beer list

When I mobbed to Texas 2 years back I had that problem. When I told them it is made in Colorado and I used to live near the brewery they honestly asked me how they could call it Belgian than? And charged me the extra buck for an import. Imported to Texas I guess.

When I mobbed to Texas 2 years back I had that problem. When I told them it is made in Colorado and I used to live near the brewery they honestly asked me how they could call it Belgian than? And charged me the extra buck for an import. Imported to Texas I guess.

A lot of folks in Texas do believe they live in a different country.

A lot of folks in Texas do believe they live in a different country.

for a while, it was.

back On Topic: the BigHair was at Wegman's the other day and they had a rep from Starr Hill giving free samples of their new seasonal saison. the BigHair tried it, said she liked it. told the rep, "my husband likes Northern Lights" and the rep said, "oh, then he'll LOVE this."

I'm still shiny at this, but really?

she bought a 6pack. we tried it and no, I don't.

Don't remember if I posted this one or not, but a summer or two ago, I had my neighbor over for a quick tasting... Once he had sampled each of the four beers I had on tap, he looked at me with this shocked look on his face and said "Wow - they all taste different, I can't believe it!".

I wanted to say something like "Really genius, why else would I have four different taps?" but instead I think I just said something like "yup, that's the idea..." In retrospect, I'm glad I only poured small samples for him.

Don't remember if I posted this one or not, but a summer or two ago, I had my neighbor over for a quick tasting... Once he had sampled each of the four beers I had on tap, he looked at me with this shocked look on his face and said "Wow - they all taste different, I can't believe it!".

I wanted to say something like "Really genius, why else would I have four different taps?" but instead I think I just said something like "yup, that's the idea..." In retrospect, I'm glad I only poured small samples for him.

let's see yours!

001.jpg

Funny, those pickups you've got in your neck and bridge, I've got in my neck and middle, and a SD Special 52 (maybe? it's been a while since I geeked out on the gear, but it's a full sized HB) in the bridge, and a switch to run the bridge/middle out of phase if I so choose. If I remember, I'll get a pic tonight...

Back