Which hop for grapefruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
Which hop is it that you have used to get the most grapefruit taste. Maybe it's a combination. Maybe it's just one. The more eplies to this thread with opinions the closer we can all get to nailing down that elusive, yet highly atainable property alot of us love. The grapefruit flavor. :D

i've got to get me some of that amarillo, grapefruit and peachy, that sounds very nice im sure my swmbo would love it.

Dude said:
Dude, mix Amarillo and Simcoe. It is wonderful! Like tropical fruit!

sounds great, not sure i can get my hands on simcoe over here but im going to have a good hunt around and see if i can.

I found that Saphir has left a strong grapefruit taste to a batch of Gluten Free sorghum beer. I used 3oz at flameout for aroma. Very in your face taste of grapefruit even with the aftertaste in the back of the tongue.

i wouldnt use centennial for grapefruit...i always get a really floral character from them (see stone IPA, bells two hearted, sierra harvest).

amarillo + cascade (more amarillo) works great.

Now if only I could find that cartoon video Revvy posted months ago....

HBT Zombie Thread.jpg

My last rye (22%) pale ale was hopped exclusively with Simcoe. For the first 6 weeks it was in the bottle, the aroma was indistinguishable from pink grapefruit juice. I actually fooled one of my friends by having him close his eves, sniff, and guess. That was priceless. The taste had quite a bit of grapefruit, too. I'm convinced it was the combination of rye in the grainbill with the Simcoe hops. Give it a try!

"chinook", "cascade" are 1 and 2, amarillo has more floral/citrusy notes so does centennial. the famous 3 C's are chinook, centennial, cascade. that combo in a pale ale sings grapefruit if there ever was

I don't know about Amarillo tasting and smelling like grapefruit. I brewed this all Amarillo IPA ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/all-amarillo-ipa-28517/ ) and it tasted and smelled like oranges. Very, very much so. Then, I tried Hill Farmstead's All Amarillo IPA and it was totally grapefruit. Not a hint of orange. Now I'm totally confused.

Cluster if you can get it, followed by Cascade... or even better, just smother the thing in 'C's... Cascade/Centennial/Cluster will give you very citrusy, grapefruity hop profile, adding Amarillo and Simcoe into the mix might darn near push you into citrus fruit punch territory. ;)

I made an IPA that I bittered with chinook then bursted with a mix of Citra and Cascade and it tasted VERY strongly of grapefruit.

My hopping schedule was :

1oz of Chinook (60 min)
.5 Oz of Both Citra and Cascade at 30 min
the same blend of citra and cascade at 20, ten and flameout

I don't know about Amarillo tasting and smelling like grapefruit. I brewed this all Amarillo IPA ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/all-amarillo-ipa-28517/ ) and it tasted and smelled like oranges. Very, very much so. Then, I tried Hill Farmstead's All Amarillo IPA and it was totally grapefruit. Not a hint of orange. Now I'm totally confused.

Dry hopping can bring out different aromas and can make the beer taste different. Also IPAs change with age.

For what it is worth, I do not associate Amarillo (when used straight with no other hop additions) with grapefruit. I find it more reminiscent of either pineapple, orange, or tangerine in nature. Mostly Pineapple.

It's funny how everyone experiences the flavors differently. I think most people would disagree with me, but I think Crystal has a great grapefruit aroma. It's what Rogue uses in the Brutal IPA. Every official description I've read refers to it as floral, but it sure comes off to me as grapefruity.

The last IPA I brewed with exclusively equal amounts of simcoe and centennial was pure grapefruit. Ive also had big grapefruit flavors/aroma from chinook + centennial.

It's funny how everyone experiences the flavors differently.

Agreed. My roommate gets dryer sheet flavors from Amarillo hops and I can't pick it out. Honestly, the OP might have to try a few hops in small batch brews to figure out which one works for him.

Based on the wide range of flavors that people report for hops, I'd assume that hops of the same variety have some differences in flavor year to year and grower to grower.

It's also important to consider everything else that's in the beer, and addition times.
Bittering hops can lay down a base bitterness that will affect the end result.
Malts will certainly mask or highlight different aspects of the hop flavor and aroma.
Yeasts can lend a fruitiness that will amplify perceptions of fruit, as well as a myriad of other flavors to highlight or mask hop flavors.

Doing a SMaSH could be helpful, but if you're looking for a grapefruity pale, just keep experimenting. It's all gonna be good, and the joy is in the experiment! :drunk:

Citra! It's a fairly new hop but seems readily available. It has a bit of a floral aroma, but its main taste note is grapefruit. I do an all citra IPA that even non-IPA drinkers like. :mug:

pola0502ds said:
Yeah, have fun getting your hands on some amarillo and simco..

Not that hard to find, I have a pound of pellets each I picked up only a couple of weeks ago, along with a pound each of Citra, Cascade, and Chinook. Did take three sources to acquire the lot, though. Google was my friend ;)

Cheers!

Cascade all the way. Redhook IPA is pure grapefruit juice. They are local and on the tours they tell the ladies to think of grapefruit juice when they drink it. After hearing that all I can taste is grapefruit. They use willamette at 10 and then cascade at knockout and for dry hops. I'd use straight cascade and try.

Just go buy a Budweiser and drop a cone of each in a bottle, recap, and try it the next day. This will let you evaluate each on their own merits. I'm sure that you'll find cascade is grapefruit and the others are more fruity.

Back