CIP Pump worthy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out on-demand ag sprayer pumps. You probably don't need a big 1 hp well pump for CIP. A 60 psi pump capable of 2 to 5 gallons per minute should more than satisfy your needs.

Harbor Tool and Freight has this 1HP pump on sale for $89.00. Any Idea where I can get something cheaper that will do the job?

They all look like plastic wet ends, how do they hold up to 180 degF Caustic?

Considering options for a pump to handle CIP for sanke fermenters and some larger plastic conicals. I came across this pump;

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-1-inch-shallow-well-pump-with-stainless-steel-housing-47906.html

Interesting, the pump looks like my Chinese made CIP pump on the outside including the rear housing.
Great pump for the job.
image_1389.jpg

Make sure all the internal parts are compatible with your cleaning solutions.
CIPMashPumps.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

The Shurflo models say they're good up to 170, and they have NPT ports. They're all for chemical applications.

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar question. I purchased the same CIP that a few guys around here have purchased: McMaster Item #71445T84 and was trying to push it with my 1/3 HP Superior Pump. The pump couldn't produce enough PSI to spin the head, so here I am googling around for a different solution. This time I want to do it right.

Can someone recommend a pump that can give me the rated GPM and PSI that I need to spin this thing? McMaster shows 6.3GPM at 40PSI.

Last edited by a moderator:
My LG 2-MD-HC wort pump that gives me 5 GPM and is limited to 14.5 PSI (I think) is not really a great CIP pump. I am using the lightest rotating spray ball, the polypro one from McMaster. I don't know if the krausen ring comes off better on glass carboys (which I don't use) than Stainless, but after an hour with the spray ball it's still on there. I don't think I'm getting the fluid speed I need.

I switched to the new Sanke version of the carboycleaner. Screw the CIP crap. So much time and effort and it's not done in 2 minutes or anything, it takes some time even when it works well. That's just my 2 cents though.

Personally I have a 1HP sump pump that I got at Harbor Freight for $65. I originally bought the pump to build a standalone keg/carboy cleaner, and it works wonderfully for that. I made it so I just have to change out the attachment for my cleaning wand so that it will hook up to my brew rig.

Out of curiosity what is the benefit of one of these spray balls over a pbw soak? Less water usage?

I've considered these in the past but always stop because a good pbw soak always seems adequate, easy, and cost effective.

Out of curiosity what is the benefit of one of these spray balls over a pbw soak? Less water usage?

Yes much lower water usage, and in my experience it takes much less time to get everything clean than with a soak & wait method. e.g. when I clean kegs out with stuck-on grime, they are spotless after only a few minutes with the sprayer going, whereas I used to have to soak the kegs overnight, sometimes twice or three times, to remove the same type of gunk.

I cleaned 4 kegs in twenty minutes the other day using that thing, and used a total of maybe 1.5 gallons of PBW solution.

Back