Is it possible to have over-active yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So for my 2nd batch I used some dry yeast suggested by my local brew shop. I'm doing a stout and they said this particular yeast would give me more of a dry stout which is the kind of stout I prefer. (Sorry I'm at work and the packet is at home so I don't know the name.)

So I did the brew Sunday and pitched the yeast. I have a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I followed the instructions on the packet for prepping the yeast and make sure my wort temps were spot on this time when I pitched.

Within 12 hours the yeast was going crazy. Before 24 hours was up it had actually bubbled out of my airlock and kind of spurted yeast a good 3-4 feet away from the carboy. Not a lot, just a few drops, but enough to piss off the wife, lol. I decent amount leaked out of the airlock and got on the blanket I had covering the carboy (the wife didn't mind this since it's a KU blanket and she's a KSU fan).

Anyhow I replaced the air lock with a spare I have and most of the action seems to be calmed down now. I thought 1.5 gallons of head room would be enough that I wouldn't need a blow-off tube, my 1st batch just bubbled a lot.

Is that normal for yeast to be that active? It's also caused the inside top part of my carboy to be covered in a layer of brown stuff. Am I going to have to transfer to the secondary in my spare bedroom so I don't cause the brew to slosh up against the wall and get that crusty brown stuff in it?

Just a very active fermentation... nothing wrong there.

The brown crud is dried yeast + beer. Not a big concern if your beer touches it.

M_C
So for my 2nd batch I used some dry yeast suggested by my local brew shop. I'm doing a stout and they said this particular yeast would give me more of a dry stout which is the kind of stout I prefer. (Sorry I'm at work and the packet is at home so I don't know the name.)

So I did the brew Sunday and pitched the yeast. I have a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I followed the instructions on the packet for prepping the yeast and make sure my wort temps were spot on this time when I pitched.

Within 12 hours the yeast was going crazy. Before 24 hours was up it had actually bubbled out of my airlock and kind of spurted yeast a good 3-4 feet away from the carboy. Not a lot, just a few drops, but enough to piss off the wife, lol. I decent amount leaked out of the airlock and got on the blanket I had covering the carboy (the wife didn't mind this since it's a KU blanket and she's a KSU fan).

Anyhow I replaced the air lock with a spare I have and most of the action seems to be calmed down now. I thought 1.5 gallons of head room would be enough that I wouldn't need a blow-off tube, my 1st batch just bubbled a lot.

Is that normal for yeast to be that active? It's also caused the inside top part of my carboy to be covered in a layer of brown stuff. Am I going to have to transfer to the secondary in my spare bedroom so I don't cause the brew to slosh up against the wall and get that crusty brown stuff in it?

Perfectly normal, I would use a blow off on all primaries if I suspected it might need it.

Just move the carboy carefully when you are ready to transfer, It won't hurt to get some of the brown stuff in, usually it's pretty stuck on the sides anyway.

Brew on my friend:mug:

perfectly normal. next time you might want to use a blow-off tube initially when the yeast is so active, than switch to an air-lock when things calm down. transferring isn't really necessary. the crusty brown stuff (dried krausen) won't hurt your beer but the "sloshing" might.

Ah well good to hear it's normal! I love dry yeast, quick, easy, can make sure its alive before you pitch, and its only like $2, what's not to love?

GreenDragon said:
Ah well good to hear it's normal! I love dry yeast, quick, easy, can make sure its alive before you pitch, and its only like $2, what's not to love?

Dry works great. There just a lot of different options with liquid yeast that can bring different flavors and characteristics to your beer

Latest posts

Back