Experimental idea, new to advanced brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadmium

Reaction score
Ok guys, so I am fairly new to brewing in general, but have that whole "can of wort, hot water, dextrose in a beer fermenter kit" pretty down pact, and was thinking of experimenting. I am going to first try with a simple experiment on conditioning beer with fruit? My theory is to use a nice blen of traditional British Ale hops / wort etc and let ferment in the primary for around 7 days (or untill done) then rack into a glass carboy for conditioning/secondary. My theory is, when racking it off to rack this onto frozen / boiled raspberries (about 2 pounds) and let it all condition in there for 2 weeks or so, then bottle. Will this

A) kill the yeast? (doubt it but still worries me)

B) Cause a funky beer?

C) do anything to add to the flavour?

D) enhance my beer, or just mess it up, including the bottling?

E) Promote Autolysis? (yeast mass suicide)

thanks in advance!

Maybe you should post some questions on brewing when you're of legal age to drink. The last thing we home brewers want is to have special interest groups lobbying for legislation that eventually stamps out our hobby because we knowingly supported underage drinking. I hope you can understand this perspective. It's not a snub.

erbiumyag said:
Maybe you should post some questions on brewing when you're of legal age to drink. The last thing we home brewers want is to have special interest groups lobbying for legislation that eventually stamps out our hobby because we knowingly supported underage drinking. I hope you can understand this perspective. It's not a snub.

Maybe he isn't from the U.S. If you notice the way he spelled "flavor"?

flavour

The 'u' tells me he's from the U.K. Not sure what their drinking age is, but maybe it's not 21!

As for an answer, sorry, I'm still a noob :cross:

erbiumyag said:

This dude is (or claims to be) from Australia. Laws are different over there.

The only fruit beer that I have done is a chocolate cherry stout. If you are worried about the clarity of your beer I would consider primary fermentation for about a week, then rack onto fruit, let that sit until airlock activity dies down, then rack to a tertiary for clearing.

I wouldnt recomend boiling the fruit. Steam it or steep it at 160*F (71*C).

- magno

Kadmium said:
Ok guys, so I am fairly new to brewing in general, but have that whole "can of wort, hot water, dextrose in a beer fermenter kit" pretty down pact, and was thinking of experimenting. I am going to first try with a simple experiment on conditioning beer with fruit? My theory is to use a nice blen of traditional British Ale hops / wort etc and let ferment in the primary for around 7 days (or untill done) then rack into a glass carboy for conditioning/secondary. My theory is, when racking it off to rack this onto frozen / boiled raspberries (about 2 pounds) and let it all condition in there for 2 weeks or so, then bottle. Will this

A) kill the yeast? (doubt it but still worries me)

B) Cause a funky beer?

C) do anything to add to the flavour?

D) enhance my beer, or just mess it up, including the bottling?

E) Promote Autolysis? (yeast mass suicide)

thanks in advance!
a - Won't kill the yeast, you'll still have plenty in there.
b - I don't think so. I put frozen raspberries in one of mine and I think it was fine
c - Yes, it will give it a fruity background
d - depends on the recipe, but with what you've got, you should be OK. I actually added 2 pounds to mine and it wasn't fruity enough for SWMBO, so I added some raspberry extract at bottling.
e - You'd have to be pretty nasty to the yeast to cause them to off themselves.

hahha, I dont "claim" to be from Australia mate, I am! fair dinkum! I even got the southern cross tattooed to my arm! :D but yes, the drinking age is 18 here, same as driving. But to be able to drink and drive (BAC of .05 or less) is 21, where as at 18 you are on your "Probationary" or "P's" and you may not have ANY alcohol in your system :off: I know, but just some facts for you.

Also, thanks for the info guys! you are a great help! Think I might add 3 or 4 "pounds" of raspberries then!

:mug: , K

Raspberries are potent; I'd still to the original 2 pound plan, especially in a fairly mild base beer. Personally, I'd rather have a good beer that had some raspberry flavor, than a raspberry drink with a hint of beer.

Back