Question about my fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
So its been a few days and I have seen my fermentation form a nice foamy krausen, and now the head has almost gone and you can see the surface of the beer.

I read online, i think Palmers, that towards the end of the first stage of fermentation, if you drop the temps, which i could do in my wine cellar or basement, it can help make better beer. Is this something I should take advantage of or steer clear of? I wouldnt want to accidentily stop fermentation and I wont be taking gravity readins on this batch (I cant) or I would.

Right now its in a room about 70 in temp.

If i were to throw caution to the wind, what are the problems that could happen?

lol

In theory, you could inhibit the yeasts from finishing their jobs. This would leave you with a lower alcohol, somewhat sweeter beer.

In reality, no idea without a gravity reading. You could have nailed it or all we know.

true after doing some research about coopers yeast, the ideal temp would be lower then where I have it, but still well within acceptable temperature.

The 1st phase of fermentation finished at 5 days, typically 2 to 7 days. I will let it go a few more days where it is. Then bring it to the basement which is not much colder, specially with the warm March we are having. I want to bottle there anyway.

Back