Hoegaarden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizz

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of clone recipes but all of them end up like blue moon. Blue moon is ok, but a true Hoegaarden clone recipe would be great. I've seen various recommendations for spices including:

orange peel
coriander
chamomile
clove
cumin
garam masala

I have tried orange peel, coriander, and recently added chamomile which is a step in the right direction. I'm unsure of the last three. Quantities would have right or they would really overpower the beer.

I've been increasing the wheat-to-barley ratio each batch, currently at 5lbs wheat malt, 3lbs flaked wheat, 1 lb 2-row. 1oz of hallertauer or equivalent at 60min. It's getting there but I could use some suggestions.

AFAIK, the only spice additions are Orange Peel and Coriander. Everything else is yeast derived. It does have a tinge of lactic sourness too that might be from a slightly soured mash.

Whoever uses Garam Masala in a Hoe clone didn't have a clue what the spice blend is and may have just made themselves a Curry Wit. Mebe not bad but, not a clone.

AFAIK, the only spice additions are Orange Peel and Coriander. Everything else is yeast derived. It does have a tinge of lactic sourness too that might be from a slightly soured mash.

Whoever uses Garam Masala in a Hoe clone didn't have a clue what the spice blend is and may have just made themselves a Curry Wit. Mebe not bad but, not a clone.

+1 I think that bitter orange peel and coriander are the only spice additions. To get the real Hoegaarden flavor, use the proper grains (Pilsner and wheat and maybe something else) and the right yeast (Harvest some yeast from the bottle or choose a good Belgian wit yeast in liquid form).

Blue Moon uses pale malt and non Belgian yeast to get a cleaner flavor. I personally prefer the Blue Moon style better (but more flavorful) but have been getting into the Belgian stuff a bit more. My last batch was going to be a Hoegaarden clone, but my yeast was lagging in the starter, so I ended up pitching a packet of Nottingham again. At least I used Pilsner malt this time and flaked wheat.

I've been using WLP400 exclusively. I wonder if my fermentation temp is too low, around 65.

The brewing network Jamil Show episode about Wits was very very interesting. They talked about decoctions, spices, chamomile, and this guy (I can't remember his name) was wit-obsessed and sounded pretty legit.

Back