Using Grapefruit in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voegeli51

Reaction score
Is there any good recipes that would involve putting grapefruit or Grapefruit Seed Extract in an IPA. I was going to put some in an IPA that I have in a secondary and wasn't sure if I could right now or if it's too late?

Perhaps others will chime in regarding fruit additions - but for an intense grapefruit flavor/aroma, just dry hop with Cascade or Amarillo hops. The more, the better!

Better yet IMO is Simcoe.But if you want to use grapefruit throw it right in your secondary.

I dry hopped a session strength pale ale with an oz. of pelletized Cascade for 11 days and when I opened up my first bottle I was HIT IN THE FACE with a grapefruit, figuratively ha ha. It wasn't what I expected but I really like it despite its relatively low 4.3% ABV. Everyone of my friends who has tried it have asked "did you put grapefruit in your beer?". They're shocked when I tell them it's hops.

Better yet IMO is Simcoe.But if you want to use grapefruit throw it right in your secondary.

Simcoe hops have an intense pine aroma and flavor. I just drank an IPA I brewed with with 6 oz of Simcoe hops. Go with Cascade for a really intense grapefruit flavor. I've been drinking another IPA I brewed with 6 oz of Cascades. VERY grapefruity!

Back