fermentation length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
This snv celebration clone I made has been fermenting for about 14 days in the primary.Its still bubbling once every three or four seconds. I'm wondering if I should rack to my secondary for dry hopping now or wait until bubbling has ceased. The ferm. temp is 68 degrees.

im not positive, but i think it would be ok to rack as long as the kreusen has fallen back into the wort(must have after 14 days). i would wait for concurrence from a more experienced brewer before you do it though.
Zac

Bubbling is not a sure fire indication of fermentation, it could be simple off gassing. I would wait. Leaving it on the yeast will only help the beer clean up. the secondary is not a fermentation vessel but a clearing vessel. Now would be a good time to check your gravity. Unchanged gravity for 3 consecutive days is the sign that fermentation is complete. I primary for 3 weeks and don't check gravity until then. Fermentation is normally complete within a week, the additional 2 weeks is for the yeast to do there side job. Think of it like this, if you hired the yeast to do your lawn and they didn't weed eat or sweep up, is your lawn done?

And just to add to your paranoia, my current batch of porter has been SLOWLY creeping towards completion for almost a month past its due date. Something must have happened between using darker extract, improper aeration, lack of starter...etc. It's still about .07 away from its suggested destination, but still bubbling. I don't mess around and jump the gun anymore. Better to waste some sanitizer every few days with hydrometer+turkey baster than blown up bottles!

Back