Blow off tube or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenghali

Reaction score
Sorry, I know this is a deadhorse, and I've read a few old threads about this, and the wiki. There was mention of there being many factors to come to the conclusion of blowoff tube or not. Well, I ended up with about 5.5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon fermenter (these are actually about almost 7 gallons). Because of lack of headspace, i was worried about my krausen blowing up, since i also am using a yeast starter. Given these factors, what would you do? I know some of you always use one, but in my case...

OG: 1.062
Batch size: 5.5 gallons
Fermenter: 6.5 gallon pale (almost about 7 gallons)
Yeast starter: One pint, White labs london ale

already have a 3-piece airlock on it, would probably be easy to just throw a tube on the male of the airlock and stick the other end in a growler of star san, so maybe i just answered my own question. thanks for any input!

Yeah kinda depends on what strain you are using, but if it were me and I was pitching a "started" culture into a 1062 with the 1 gal narrowing neck of a carboy being the headspace I would throw that tube on there... what yeast are you using???

I don't see why wouldnt you use a blow off tube during active fermentation. I'd rather not have to clean up exploded wort.

Yeah kinda depends on what strain you are using, but if it were me and I was pitching a "started" culture into a 1062 with the 1 gal narrowing neck of a carboy being the headspace I would throw that tube on there... what yeast are you using???

white labs london ale (WLP013)

I don't see why wouldnt you use a blow off tube during active fermentation. I'd rather not have to clean up exploded wort.

that's a good attitude, but i've never used one before. I usually am using an 8 gal bucket, but i recently started upping my production and had some 6.5 pails lying around that i figured i would use instead of buying another fermenter. i guess i might as well throw one on. i have some 3/8" tubing that will probably fit ok onto the 3 piece airlock male.

I'm in the group that always uses one. Only takes one messy explosion to learn you don't want another one.

Yes. The blow off tube is a good idea. Even when you have 10 gal in a thirteen gallon container.

DSC00953.jpg

almost just put one on, but it was looking to be a really tight fit, cancelled the attempt since i didn't want to risk infection trying to finagle it on there. i'll be prepared for next time. thanks for all the responses.

One too many messy experiences has taught me the value of always using a blowoff.

Sometimes I bottle before ever switching it out for an airlock.

I don't know about you, but I could probably rig one up quicker than I could log onto HBT and type up a post.

And assuming you wash your hands and sanitize your tubing, you aren't going to ruin your beer by trying to "finagle" the tubing onto the male of the 3 piece airlock.

After having a beer shoot onto my ceiling from my fermentations, I always use one, at least first off.

Cut the tuning at an angle and you can squeeze it onto/into a tight fit easier. I always use blowoff tubes with no worries.

Back