Increasing body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emacgee

Reaction score
So I'm brewing this coffee stout again and last time it turned out to have a little less body than I would have liked. Here is the malt side of the recipe:
6.6 lbs light LME
1 lb extra dark DME
1/2 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb crystal 40
1/4 lb crystal 60
1/4 lb caraffa III

Just curious as to how would be best to add some body to this. Not able to mash anything right now so that rules out a few options.

What temp are you steeping your grains?
A lower temp = more fermentable / thinner
A higher temp = less fermentable / more body.
You could try adding some Maltodextrin, ~8oz.

What temp are you steeping your grains?
A lower temp = more fermentable / thinner
A higher temp = less fermentable / more body.
You could try adding some Maltodextrin, ~8oz.

I'd have to say that my steeping temp is on the higher end as opposed to the lower end so that probably isn't the problem. Although, I'll definitely be paying much closer attention to that this time so thanks!

Probably ought to mention that I plan on adding lactose to this recipe. Not sure how much though, any suggestions on quantity would be welcome as well.

Probably ought to mention that I plan on adding lactose to this recipe. Not sure how much though, any suggestions on quantity would be welcome as well.

Lactose isn't really that sweet so it always seems subtle no matter the amount (within reason of course)

I'm drinking a 4.8% ABV Milkstout I made with a full pound of lactose. Its still not "sweet" to my palate but I enjoy it. It lends a silky body to it that can be felt, mostly on the tongue.

I've yet to try it but flaked oats shuld provide a similar mouthfeel; thick and velvety/satiny like.

Lactose isn't really that sweet so it always seems subtle no matter the amount (within reason of course)

I'm drinking a 4.8% ABV Milkstout I made with a full pound of lactose. Its still not "sweet" to my palate but I enjoy it. It lends a silky body to it that can be felt, mostly on the tongue.

I've yet to try it but flaked oats shuld provide a similar mouthfeel; thick and velvety/satiny like.

Yeah, I knew it wouldn't add too much sweetness per se. I figure I'll add between 1/2 and 1 lb. Probably more towards the whole pound mark.

maltodextrin.

my porter that tastes super damned good only lacks a thickness, and not much of it. i brewed this for SWMBO, and she loves it. the only reason why she will pick up a black butte porter instead is due to the thin ness of my brew. it was extract with steeped grains too, so temps are not going to do much. i would ask first and foremost, what yeast did you use?
i used s-04, if i had used s-05 it would have been way thin. this beer started @ 1.057 and ended @ 1.019 which is perfect for what i wanted, sweet, not dry, yet it lacks mouthfeel i wanted. malto would have given it, as would flaked barley.
next time i brew this, i will use flaked, and malto. dont care if it's too thick as i do not drink it really. once a month or so.

Thanks, keep the replies coming. So far I have maltodextrin as a big suggestion

Back